SW Washington fishing report

The Guides Forecast
SW Washington by Ian Carter

Buoy 10 and the Ocean continues to be the focus of most avid boat fisherman. Jetty anglers can most certainly participate in the fishery and have been doing very well.

REMINDER, please verify the regulations before fishing any body of water

Warm Water Area Lakes​

Most lakes that receive trout stocking are done for the year. There is some very good warm fishing available in just about every lake or mill pond around the region. Don’t overlook catfishing.

There is a Fall Bass seminar coming up on August 23rd. Nathan at Sportsman’s Warehouse is producing this event. It should be very educational for those of you wanting to develop your knowledge of Bass fishing.

Kress Lake Panfish and Bass fishing is reported as being good. The last trout plant was on June 22nd, consisting of 2,500 brown trout.

Klineline Pond – Last trout plant was on June 6th, consisting of 2,000 fish.​

High Lakes​

Takhlakh Lake in Skamania County is fishing well. There are lots of mosquitoes though. The lake has been stocked with over 7,000 trout since July 5th, 2022. That includes 40 @.1 per pound and 160 fish @ .23 per pound. Camping there with larger RV’s can be a challenge as there isn’t much room. The last eight miles are un-paved roads. It’s amazing how many great lakes are in the Mt. Adams district.

Lewis Report​

Fishing is still good, and I don’t think it’s peaked yet. Angler West ladies told me that they have heard of the Shell Station run producing quite a few fish.

The river is maintaining at a steady 1,250 cfs. Water conditions are great for low water tactics. WDFW creel checks showed 12 bank rods kept three steelhead. The gauge level at Ariel is still at 1.5 ft. and holding NOAA’s gauge in Woodland is varying with the tide between 8ft and 11ft.

The stream flow data can be found here: USGS-North Fork Lewis.

Kalama Report​

Nathan at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Kelso tells me that some Chinook are around. Steelhead fishing is best above the ballfields.

Cowlitz Report​

The cowlitz is still fishing well. Folks fishing lower down have had success plunking. The fisherman further up are using bobber with shrimp or eggs.

Flows are steady. At Castle Rock, the river is running 5,500 cfs. Water visibility is 14 feet and water temperature is 54.9 degrees F. The water has cooled off a few degrees since last week.

Columbia Gorge and Tributaries

The tributaries continue to have little to report right now. WDFW reported a little peak at Drano: 16 bank anglers had no catch. Nine boats with 20 rods kept nine Chinook and released two Chinook and 13 steelhead. This could be a good indicator for gorge fishing in the coming several weeks.

Steelhead counts are in the 1,000 per day range.

Reservoir Report​

I fished Merwin on Monday. Fishing pressure was super light. At 6:00am when we arrived there were five rigs in lot at. When we departed there were only 12 trailers. First thing we experienced a little east wind chop until 7:00 then flat.

Columbia Summary​

I just spoke with Jim from Looney Coonies. He reported a great day for his boat this afternoon, considering that 99% of the boats around him were skunked. He was fishing in the Warrior Rock area of the Columbia.

Loonie Coonie Jim’s guests had a great day | 8/9/2022
Coastal

Buoy 10 Dave with Dave’s Guide Service cell: (360) 201-9313 has had a pretty good week. Even though the fishery is Hatchery Chinook only, he says they are killing a few every day. Best action is coming with anchovies, spinners and superbaits.

Coho Up and down the coast many charter boats reported full limits of coho in short periods of time. Fishing continues to be great out of both Ilwaco and Westport.

Chinook This week the guys at Bob’s Sporting Goods tell me the ocean Chinook fishing out of Ilwaco is very good. Also fishing inside with restricted bar condition produced some fish this week.

Tuna Kory at Bob’s has heard of some good trips. Would be best for me to place a call to a local for next week. I also know a few guys out of Pacific City if you ever need a personal Tuna contact on the central Oregon coast.

Bottom FishReceived some intel that the North Jetty on the Columbia has been producing some quick limits of large Rock Fish. A few small Coho were also intercepted. With the right tide and adequate gear, that is a fun way to fish. ShellfishPerfect summer conditions for great ocean crabbing. I have not heard any reports from bays or estuaries.

Receive these Oregon and SW Washington fishing reports in your email on Thursday nights by signing up here.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom