SW Oregon fishing report - contributor Jeff Rome reports

The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
It's now 2022 and the New Year brought in a big rain and snow storm that blew out the rivers big time! Just prior and into the New year, winter steelhead were being caught most everywhere. The lower Rogue saw an influx of early adult steelhead and the Chetco produced some nice ones as well.....all before getting blown out! It's now a waiting game for the rivers to get back into "steelhead" shape and some should be as soon as the weekend and better into next week for an unofficial "official" winter steelhead season!👏🎣

After talking with some of my resource guides, there seems to be some optimism that the 2022 winter steelhead season should be a good one. While "licking my chops and chomping on the bit" to get on the river, I'm patiently waiting for more optimum river conditions and getting my tackle in order. Anxious anglers that are closer to some of the smaller streams like the Elk and Sixes, Millicoma and even the Applegate have a better opportunity starting Saturday as these tend to drop and clear sooner. The larger rivers should be in "high" water fishable shape Sunday and should be approaching prime shape early next week. This would be a great time to schedule a trip with some of the local guides and learn some new techniques as they will get you on fish.

My bets bets for the weekend and into next week is looking like the Elk and Sixes should be good and fishable as is the Millicoma. Sunday looks to be a bit better for the Chetco, Rogue and South Umpqua for high water conditions running plugs from boats or side planing and for bank plunkers. The beginning of next week looks very promising to hit any favorite spots and there should be good numbers of steelhead in. Sunday might also be a first of the year opportunity to get out on the ocean for bottom fish and crab. You'll have to go a bit North of major river inlets as there's a lot of fresh water coming out. Crabbing in the bays will be a little slow until the fresh river water slows, so ocean crabbing will be better when you can get out. Also the surf perch are biting!

Jeff's detailed report, multiple lake updates, and forecast in this week's version for Members!

G
Gulfstream
Thanks for the 411!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nothing is sacred anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: O. mykiss
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
No fishing spot is safe from the internet…