Sutton and Munsel lakes

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
We moved to Florence this last July and live on Sutton Lake. I've talked with neighbors and they fish the lake for stockers in the spring and early summer, in the lower lake, with decent success. I've dropped a line in the upper lake with little success this winter. I have heard there are decent yellow perch and bass opportunities in the lake, as well. Also, Munsel Lake is just down the road, a couple miles away, and I know that they get lot of trophy plants.

Both Sutton and Munsel are a couple of the deeper lakes on the central coast, so I'm assuming trolling will be the best option for early spring fishing. Anyone have experience here, that can fill in some details?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
For trout, check the ODFW planting schedule, heavy planting between Feb and May, Munsel for sure, best fishing through June, then slow. Trolling is it.

Bass and perch goes up and down on the coastal lakes, each year different ones are hot and others slow. cheers roger

Reactions: troutdude and LazyBrewer
4labs
4labs
I guess you have a boat.
The planters love Berkley Flicker Shad in 3". Trout or White.
Hard to find over there but Bi-Mart can order them.
They dive to 8-12ft max . The easies thing you will ever use and a line counter reel helps. Let out a100ft or more and your set.
Alittle pro cure trout trophy jell helps.
Almost moved to Munsel or Sutton just couldn't find enough acreage. See my report from Dorena

Reactions: troutdude, LazyBrewer and rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
4labs said:
I guess you have a boat.
They dive to 8-12ft max . The easies thing you will ever use and a line counter reel helps. Let out a100ft or more and your set.
Almost moved to Munsel or Sutton just couldn't find enough acreage. See my report from Dorena

Wedding rings, small spinners, and many of the small Kokanee type of lures work well also.

Reactions: troutdude, LazyBrewer and 4labs
LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
4labs said:
I guess you have a boat.

Yup! Got a new Deep-V 18 footer in late November. Only had it out a couple times so far, and still need to finish the motor break-in process. Hoping for some clear weather soon so I can drop some crab pots in the Siuslaw.

I just found the Berkley Flicker Shad online at Cabelas, and ordered a couple. Thanks for the lead on this.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

Roger lives in your "hood" and is a verifiable wealth of knowledge in your area. The idea also OFFered by 4labs is also spot on.

Try tipping Wedding Rings w/ 1/2 to 1/3 of a night crawler. Also try Green and Black Wedding Rings. They have been killer for me, on some other lakes.

Also try Fire Tiger Rooster Tails. As well as Little Cleo spoons. But remove the hook from the Cleo's. Then use as a flasher/dodger w/ about 10" of leader to a worm. Or use Berkley Mice Tails with that Cleo set up.

• Fire Tiger Rooster Tails.jpg
  • Berkley Mice Tail.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF.

Roger lives in your "hood" and is a verifiable wealth of knowledge in your area. The idea also OFFered by 4labs is also spot on.

Try tipping Wedding Rings w/ 1/2 to 1/3 of a night crawler. Also try Green and Black Wedding Rings. They have been killer for me, on some other lakes.

Also try Fire Tiger Rooster Tails. As well as Little Cleo spoons. But remove the hook from the Cleo's. Then use as a flasher/dodger w/ about 10" of leader to a worm. Or use Berkley Mice Tails with that Cleo set up.

Thanks for the info! I've been doing a lot of research on these local lakes, and I've definitely seen your suggestions mentioned before, and have stocked up on most of those lures. I've read about using Little Cleo's as a flasher. It's really intriguing and will be the first thing I try in a few weeks.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
@PK Yi is the member who uses that Little Cleo set up. Here is one of his bank fishing videos. I like the color of the Mice Tail, at 2:55.

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
troutdude said:
Also try Fire Tiger Rooster Tails.

Which size of the Fire Tiger Rooster Tails do you recommend? Amazon has them pretty cheap, from 1/32 up to 3/4 oz.

troutdude
troutdude

troutdude
troutdude
LazyBrewer said:
Which size of the Fire Tiger Rooster Tails do you recommend? Amazon has them pretty cheap, from 1/32 up to 3/4 oz.

Somewhere in the middle of those sizes will do.

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
I've been following PK's YouTube channel for about a year and doing lots of vicarious fishing through him. He posts great stuff.

C_Run
C_Run
A good resource for your area are the fishing guide booklets by the late Pete Heley. Some of them detail the lakes throughout the central Oregon coast. His website is down now but I think your local tackle shops may have them. The Stockade in Winchester Bay used to have them.

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
Anyone know of a store in the Florence area that carries Pete's books?

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
rogerdodger said:

It looks like the Eugene and Rosberg Lakes books are out of stock at Amazon. Did local stores carry them?

troutdude
troutdude
The Stockade Market & Tackle Shop
350 Beach Blvd, Winchester Bay, OR 97467
Phone: (541) 271-3800

They have a Facebook page and used to carry his books. Maybe they have some left?

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
troutdude said:
The Stockade Market & Tackle Shop
I messaged them on Facebook. I may make a run down there this weekend, if they have the two books.

troutdude
troutdude
@LazyBrewer if you call ahead you would know for sure. Or...if they can latch onto some. They may have connections, maybe, to Pete's family.