suttle/elk

F
fishudedmeet
does any1 have any experience at suttle lake or elk lake? if so, share! :)

C
chunk_style
I've been to suttle lake many many times since I was young. Don't remember ever doing well there! We've caught several kokes from there, but not odell numbers by any means. Supposed to be good browns in there, learned some tricks for them, but haven't been able to implement them yet!
As for elk lake, my wife and I did a PCT hike ending there once. There were lots of fish jumping in a cove near the docks. Lots of people were fishing from the bank, but the fish were out of casting distance. The lodge owners were fishing from the dock, also having no luck. I asked if I could borrow one of those paddle-boats they rent to take fishing, and they laughed! I responded, hey I'd fish from a floating telephone pole if you had one! They let me use the boat, and I smashed the kokes and a few gorgeous brookies 12+ inches! Who was laughing then?!?! Elk is beautiful, but I've only been there once. I've heard it's actually a tough fishing lake. Super clear water, small tackle and long leaders are a good idea.

Troutski
Troutski
Suttle lake...

Suttle lake...

fishudedmeet said:

I have never actually targeted the Kokes in that lake, but the German Browns are a different story. I recommend either lead core line or a down rigger, run around twenty feet or just above the thermocline and you will be successful. The baits I use there are the segmented Rainbow Trout Rapala (3") or the 3" silver Shad Rapala, not that other lures wouldn't work but that is what I was taught and so I used them. This was before I was shown the lure of the divine 🙏(Gold Spoons). I know we trolled a bit faster than I was use to...2 - 2.5 mph with many turns and stalls and spurts. Almost like working a lure through a river, keeps you busy that's for sure. Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

F
fishudedmeet
no boat for me!

Y
yellowjacket
Flourocarbon leader

Flourocarbon leader

fishudedmeet said:

I had planned to camp at Elk Lake on my return in July so when in Bend getting license/tags and groceries I asked a number of people & all said basically the same as Chunkstyle. I had a young guy at joe's say he camped there a lot and that you go in & head around to the right shoreline where the bushes are by the cove. Also said that a lot of times the fish are out a little further than casting distance from shore. Elk Lake was full so I ended up at Lava Lake and there is a lot of shore access there. Also a store with gas, boat rentals, shower & laundry. The water is clear as glass & I watched multiple times some nice bows make runs at my night crawler only to veer away at about 3". :doh: I would recommend to use a 18-24" #4 flourocarbon leader & snell your own hooks. I think the fish were spotting the line on the pre-snelleds I was using and turning at the last second. Some on lake trolling, others find & anchor. A couple guys about 75 yards off the point where I set up were anchored & dropping straight off the side & were pulling in a fish every 3-5 mins. Probably mid May before you'll be able to fish those lakes. Late storm last spring & Lava Lake didn't open till the middle of June.
In the picture there is a cove below Bachelor and lava outcroppings on either side that have step ledges & I saw many & caught a couple. :)

F
FishFinger
Suttle Lake

Suttle Lake

Suttle lake is 250 acres and has a max depth of 75'. It has resident Kokes, browns, whitefish and crawdads. It fishes best for kokes from may to june in shallower water, even from the bank near the boat launch, and then deeper as the summer progresses and the water temp rises..

Early and late season browns are catch-able near the surface. During the summer months they too head for deeper water. The fire some 5 years ago dramatically impacted the southern side of the lake. With the loss of tree cover the water temp raises quicker than it had prior to the fire.

Lava lake(s) are a fun place to camp and angle. Big Lava is 320 acres and 30' at it's deepest point. Bows are the main, target averaging between 6" to 5 lbs. Big lava is very productive when still fished from a boat or the bank.

Little lava lake prohibits boats with motors which makes it ideal for bellyboats, toons, canoes and rowed skiffs. I have had great success catching nice stocker bows on garden hackle near the south western bank.

One year while at big lava a scud hatch occurred so thick you couldn't breath with out sucking them in your nose and mouth. We opted to shift to little lave just 1/2 mile away and fished in fresh air while murdering bows w/o the lake locust filling your lungs.

Y
yellowjacket
Cultus Lake

Cultus Lake

FishFinger said:
Suttle lake is 250 acres and has a max depth of 75'. It has resident Kokes, browns, whitefish and crawdads. It fishes best for kokes from may to june in shallower water, even from the bank near the boat launch, and then deeper as the summer progresses and the water temp rises..

Early and late season browns are catch-able near the surface. During the summer months they too head for deeper water. The fire some 5 years ago dramatically impacted the southern side of the lake. With the loss of tree cover the water temp raises quicker than it had prior to the fire.

Lava lake(s) are a fun place to camp and angle. Big Lava is 320 acres and 30' at it's deepest point. Bows are the main, target averaging between 6" to 5 lbs. Big lava is very productive when still fished from a boat or the bank.

Little lava lake prohibits boats with motors which makes it ideal for bellyboats, toons, canoes and rowed skiffs. I have had great success catching nice stocker bows on garden hackle near the south western bank.

One year while at big lava a scud hatch occurred so thick you couldn't breath with out sucking them in your nose and mouth. We opted to shift to little lave just 1/2 mile away and fished in fresh air while murdering bows w/o the lake locust filling your lungs.

Howdy FishFinger, sounds like you are pretty familiar with the cascade lakes area, You ever fished Cultus lake for Lake Trout, was told by a knowlegeable guy that there is a well maintained population & that nice fish avg 10-14 lbs with the occasional around 18 lbs. Any firsthand knowlege of the how to's & most productive area on the lake? Kind of a second curiosity the pics in your D'Andy Slayer tutorial were great, what camera did you use for those?
Thanks, YJ

F
FishFinger
I haven't gotten to Cultus yet. It's on the long list of lakes I hope to hit over the next few seasons. I found a great book called "Fishing Central Oregon and beyond" It covers hundreds of rivers and lakes from the Cascades east.

Handy reference guide.

The camera.. lol it's a POS Kodak electronic brick. In order to get a decent close up it has to be on a tripod w/ additional lighting. I have to sort through 10 blurry, crappy shots to salvage 1. I have to give it props for being super tough and not needing propritary batteries

I got a little Nikon CoolPix and it seems to work pretty good. I haven't killed it yet. I'm sure the first time I dunk it I will.