Surgical tubing, Slinky's, or Pencil lead??

B
Brian Dupree
pro and cons? which on do you use?

M
Mike123
What I like the most but takes the longest to make is .250 shot in surgical tubing. They kinda bounce off the bottom. You have to lube them with something to get them in the surgical tubing. Time consuming but worth it.

L
luv2fish
i think you'll find this in archives here...cuz this debate ended up with a lil word of discipline from our site supervisors.....ofcourse in a good way...but yes they all have their importance and at times they all have advantage over one another.....

F
FishFinger
hollow core pencil lead as well as crimp-able split shot. Allows me good flexibility adjusting to the water conditions quicker IMHO

B
bigdog
Yeah I use the hollow pencil as wel, like Dan said easy and fast to match the water you are fishing and it is cheaper as well.

F
FishSchooler
The best thing to use would be a rock. A tiny bouncing rock on the bottom of a river may look weird, but a tiny shiny ball would look weirder. :D

M
metalmania
Everyone has ther own preference. I've used all the ways posted and haven't found one to be better than the others. I run pencil when the waters higher and shot when it's low.

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
The best thing to use would be a rock. A tiny bouncing rock on the bottom of a river may look weird, but a tiny shiny ball would look weirder. :D

They actually make rock sinkers. Basically a polished rock with a hole drilled in it.

T
Troutier Bassier
Nice Signature Mike.

If you put Hollow lead on your Main Line and tie on a bead and Swivel, Would that be a good Drift Rig?

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
They actually make rock sinkers. Basically a polished rock with a hole drilled in it.

Really? I havent seen one yet I think. Along the columbia, we found rocks with single large holes in them. From drills? What kind of drill do you need to drill holes in rocks without them cracking?

A
A_J-Llama
drilling rocks

drilling rocks

you would need a small masonary bit to drill the rocks, the broader tip section keeps the hole clear and won't wedge it causing the rock to fracture:dance:

H
here2fish
No ifs ands or buts about it.....hollow core. quickest most dial-able means of putting your stash where ya want it. And with hollow core when it decides to put itself between a rock and a hard place, you only lose the lead.It slips right off if you don't pinch it too hard.

split shot has its place in my box as well....quick cheap and easy

slinkys=snags

T
Troutier Bassier
Slinkys=Snags?
I thought they Dident Snag?

S
steelhead_stalkers
In my experience slinkys snagged less than lead but who knows! I only drift fish when I have to now days. :D

M
metalmania
I've used slinkys a lot and rarely lose more than one or two a week, and I fish way to often:lol:.

M
Mike123
Slinky's snag way less than lead IMO.. Split shot snags the worst.
I just hate the feel of the HEAVY tap tap of hollow core. I just like to feel the fish bite.

I seen those small rock sinkers in an STS magazine.

H
here2fish
okay let me rephrase that. when you are using slinkies they seem to snag and not let go, sometimes taking more than just the slinky. With hollow core it just slips off. Reel in and put another chunk of lead on and your ready to go.

The main reason I dont use slinkies is because you can't dial them in as exact as hollow core. Its either 3 balls or 4 balls no in between. With hollow core you can get the perrrrrfect drift.

and yah splitshot definitely snags, but sometimes its the best way to go.

oh ya and I also use the skinny hollow core, seems to get hung up less.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
here2fish said:
okay let me rephrase that. when you are using slinkies they seem to snag and not let go, sometimes taking more than just the slinky. With hollow core it just slips off. Reel in and put another chunk of lead on and your ready to go.

The main reason I dont use slinkies is because you can't dial them in as exact as hollow core. Its either 3 balls or 4 balls no in between. With hollow core you can get the perrrrrfect drift.

Split shots are easier to adjust then hollow core.

M
Mike123
here2fish said:

and yah splitshot definitely snags, but sometimes its the best way to go.

Agreed! :) Slinkies a lot of times NEVER let go once snagged. I experienced this today.

Wait 'till you try the lead shot in surgical tubing though! It's like a mix of the two. Very hard to snag and if you do the tubing just rips off. :D

H
here2fish
FishSchooler said:
Split shots are easier to adjust then hollow core.

yahhhh......but when your weight is on your main line a hang up means retying your whole rig...