Surfperch on shallow sloped beaches

B
BigSalty
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get surfperch off of shallow sloped beaches. I've tried carolina rigs with gulp sandworm/molecrab, tossing small jigs and even some jerk baits like they do on YouTube. Is there some key difference between how and where you fish a shallow beach vs a steep beach? I do well on steeper sloped beaches like Horsfall just north of Coos Bay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Do what the surfperch do! Stay out of the shallows. Tony

Reactions: wils
plumbertom
plumbertom
I've had the same experience.
I learned surf fishing on the beaches of SoCal where the shore rises quickly, and the breakers pop up very near to shore.
What little success I've had has come from learning to read the surf and fishing the troughs and holes,
Visits to the beaches at low tides can help to locate those for fishing at the high tide.
Still, I've done such a small amount of surf fishing due to the distance from home, that I could hardly be considered an expert on Oregon surf fishing.
I have found that a longer rod, nine foot or more, can help reach those further out first breakers.

Reactions: O. mykiss and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
In the shallows, if you rig correctly you may hook into some flat fish depending on your location (farther south). My fav are Sand Dabs. Tony

Reactions: plumbertom
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I have done well on both steep beaches and shallow beaches. My local beaches, on the central Oregon coast, are shallow sloping beaches. Fishing near the rocks is always a good option if available. If that’s not available, do like plumbertom said, get out at low tide and look for troughs and holes. Mark them on Onx, or make a mental note of landmarks. Come back a couple hours before high tide and hopefully they are there! Try not only gulp worms, but also mike crabs if you can find them. Run both on high-low rigs.

Reactions: plumbertom and Casting Call
F
fphowell
BigSalty said:
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get surfperch off of shallow sloped beaches. I've tried carolina rigs with gulp sandworm/molecrab, tossing small jigs and even some jerk baits like they do on YouTube. Is there some key difference between how and where you fish a shallow beach vs a steep beach? I do well on steeper sloped beaches like Horsfall just north of Coos Bay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A few years ago PK YI, a prolific redtail perch fisherman with many posts on this forum, made a post here an asked if anyone
knew of beaches with steep slopes. I have never caught a perch on flat beaches and probable the same for PK YI.
PK YI is on youtube now and might be the place for more info on this matter.

Reactions: troutdude and plumbertom
troutdude
troutdude
PK is a cool dude. He took me out a few years ago, to troll Dorena Reservoir for trout. It was ice cold and we got zero bites; but it was still fun.

Casting Call
Casting Call
PK and I fished Fishing Rock for blacks, perch off of high rock cliffs. In Lincoln Beach was a great day. Tony

Reactions: troutdude