Surf

N

nel

Is the surf fishing something you consider ?

T

The Nothing

i've been known to do some surf fishing...

L

lilsalmon

I was curious about that also.....I want to try the jetty in Newport too but have no idea about fishing there

Q

qwapaw

Just be very careful on the jetties. I was fishing on the one in Florence and got myself in the water and it isn't fun getting out. Plus I seem to have left my cell phone in the ocean at the same time. I have to admitt, I was scrambling for all I was worth to get out. That day I had a couple nice fish on, but they got down into the rocks and I had to break them off. It is fun for sure. There is a beach down by Gardner they fish a lot and do well certain times of the year. Good luck, Qwa

R

Rokjak

surf

surf

YES. I am going to do some surfin around Newport and Depoe come next summer. Wonder what kind of rod that I can use for bank Springer and Surf fishing. I need to throw 9 oz. about 30+ yards at my Springer spot on the Columbia. Need only about 2 oz + or- for surf fishing. Anyone got a good idea? I would like to keep it around $100 or so maybe a bit more. Then casting or spinning????? Will appreciate any input. Thank ya Jack L.

N

nel

YES. I am going to do some surfin around Newport and Depoe come next summer. Wonder what kind of rod that I can use for bank Springer and Surf fishing. I need to throw 9 oz. about 30+ yards at my Springer spot on the Columbia. Need only about 2 oz + or- for surf fishing. Anyone got a good idea? I would like to keep it around $100 or so maybe a bit more. Then casting or spinning????? Will appreciate any input. Thank ya Jack L.

I am waiting to get my new Alvey reel sidecast ( turns 90* ) $ 72.00 from cabella. A lot of info at (alvey reel usa) videos, bait, rigs.
My reel is 550 for RH 10' light rod 4-10lb and 10-12Lb line with .5 oz sinker. in a week I can tell you how far I can cast with the new combo. I do sturgeon bank fishing only, but for surf I need some lighter combo to last few hours of fishing.

M

Mike123

Sandshrimp the best bait to use for surf fishing?

L

livin2fish

Hey jack, welcome to the forum,so imo it depends how serious you want to be.I have always used just a salmon, steelhead rod for surf fishing and i like a level wind for that kind of fishing.I like to run braided line in the ocean but a 20# or better mono is just fine.the rod only needs to be 8'6" and if you have to through more than 4 oz. it seems your wasting your time because the surf is so rough you wouldnt know if you were getting a strike or not. Sandshrimp is definitely #1 bait , tie it on with stretchy thread, sandworms, squid, mussles, etc. even night cralwers are good bait. I've never surf fished around there though, always from florence south to windy bay. The trick is to find the fish, do not be afraid to move around up & down the beach, you can move a hundred yards and go from catching 0-3 at a time just like that.these would be red tail surf perch I am talking about by the way. I've done a quite a bit of it so if you have more q's let me know.keep it simple that kind of fishing is not complicated or expensive unless you get your truck stuck on the beach :lol: :lol: :lol: Fishon.

R

Rokjak

surfin

surfin

Thanks fellas, I have surfed before and just used a casting rod and reel that my uncle from Idaho made for me. He was a rod builder and made some really nice rods.
I usually find some mussels on the rocks and use them for bait. Did not think of the stretchy string. Heck I use that fishing for Sturgeon. I was wanting a longer pole as my Sturgeon boat rod just dose not quite hit the spot fishing for Springers, come about 10' short on the cast. Will keep in touch and thanks again for the welcome, and also welcome to Nel, this seams to be a lively place here at OFF. Jack L.

N

nel

surf

surf

Prons small piece threded with clear strech was good for surf perch. For a change I tried a small corkie and first or second cast the salmon broked my 4lb line. A true bist. Next time the line will be 12lb and a lot of it. I tried breided but I like mono on big spiner.
Anibody hooked salmon on surf fishing?

T

The Nothing

Best bet for salmon would be off jetties.

As for a good surf rod, I still like my Lamiglass Surf King, despite cursing its name a time or two. Comes in at under 100 from Fishermans. Works well for plunking in the Columbia as well. If you're fishing jetties, its overkill. Most salmon rods will work just fine.

Good surf baits: mussels, sandshrimp, squid, prawns... Gulp! alive baits tend to work very well too.

N

nel

Thanks Isaac for kaiac info.
That's a real adventure.

Top Bottom