Surf setup for a newbie

Fattie
Fattie
I'm new to anything that isn't bank fishing for trout, but I love fishing and the outdoors.. So I've decided to try surf\jetty fishing. I just received my new reel (spin, 3000), and my rod (medium heavy, 10') should arrive tomorrow.'
I've watched some videos and I'm planning on trying 1-3 oz pancake weights and #4 hooks... But what does everyone use for line? Is it necessary to run mono leaders? I thought braided might be fine if I'm fishing in the surf anyhow. And im not certain what strengths to run. I'd like to stay as light as possible, but I want to keep anything I'm able to reel in from the surf or jetty. I have no boat, so I'm not expecting halibut or anything.. just whatever is close. I guess it's possible to reel in salmon, at least.
Thanks for the help!
Fat

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I would run Braided line especially if you plan on fishing the jetty, as it is much tougher and would be much stronger in a smaller diameter. Then i would run mono for the leader.

G
Gulfstream
If you are surf fishing for perch, you can use 2 different set ups. Dropper set up with 2 or 3 hooks and a sand claw weight or what I use is a Carolina rig with a 24 inch or so leader.2-3oz weight.I would recommend a top shot of mono if you are using braid of 20 lb mono. About 10 yds is fine. Check out P K yi videos on you tube for info on perch. Welcome and just ask if you have any more questions

Reactions: Fattie
P
pinstriper
Sammy/PK Yi has changed his youtube channel name to “Oregon Life”, and he has extensive videos on this.

Reactions: SciFly and Fattie
P
pinstriper
I also run a 2 hook dropper/bottom fishing rig, with sand claw weights (which are spendy and hard to find, try Tillamook SG). I run 30# braid because 20 is so thin you can get cut real badly by it. I run 10’ dropper of 20# mono.

I use #2 baitkeeper hooks and Gulp! Sandworms.

Reactions: SciFly and Fattie
Fattie
Fattie
Awesome, thanks!
Unfortunately, i am limited on fishing setups... So this is going to also be my steelhead reel. I might limit myself to 20# braid.

G
Gulfstream
Check out 'Oregon Surfperch Fishing" on Facebook. Lots of good people and information . Just like here!

P
pinstriper
Fattie said:
Awesome, thanks!
Unfortunately, i am limited on fishing setups... So this is going to also be my steelhead reel. I might limit myself to 20# braid.

That is my point. Do not run less than 30# braid. Period. Ever. For anything. You run a serious cut risk.

Reactions: SciFly
C_Run
C_Run
Pyramid sinkers work just fine in the surf. If 4 oz. don't hold, go home. That's my rule of thumb.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Okuma Rockaway Surf ML 11' with a Daiwa Saltist 4000 is a great durable and wallet friendly rod reel setup for surfperch. Reel stays the same but depending on the species you target, the rod changes. Rockfish/Lingcod require a heavier M 12' Rockaway.

As for line, 30-40 lb maxcuatro is good for rockfish/lingcod. For surfperch on the beach, 15-20 lb Daiwa Grand/Daiwa Jbraid will suffice.

Most weights will hold bottom, especially pancake and pyramid, but cannon ball weights tend to roll. Make sure you have at least 10' of leader material (Seaguar AbrazX 40-50lb). There are sometimes rocks in the surf so consider having extra leader for the surf too. Remember to add a 8-10 lb bumper between your weight and your rig in case of a snag.

For surperch, my most successful setup is a triple t-knot rig, each knot 1 foot away from eachother. The line used to tie it is 25 lb Seaguar AbrazX. Use #4 baitholders, and add a gulp sandworm, or bait live cut herring, mussel and clam meat, or sand shrimp. Sand shrimp and Gulp worms work best. Cast out as far as you can and reel in 5 or so feet of line every 10 seconds. Make sure you are always tight to your rig. Keep the rod tip very high up as to avoid your line from interacting with waves.

I'm not big on jetty fishing so just follow the other tips on that.

Reactions: SciFly
T
Troutier Bassier
When you're fishing the jetty, use sandshrimp or sand moles for bait. Cast within 20' of the rocks. Thats where you'll consistently catch fish. Get ready to get snagged so bring lots of weights and hooks. Fishing the jetty is the most fun thing in oregon.

L
LingFace
I run 50# braid. 3oz canon balls. And 6/0 hooks for lingcod. The ball sits on the bottom with a three foot lead to the main braid. I tie a loop in the braid to which there is also a two foot leader of 30 lb mono. Rock fishing on the bottom is a high snag risk. The purpose of the heavy line is that you can sometimes get your hardware back. The leader should always be stronger than the hook. And your main should be stronger than your leader. That way you don’t always lose everything if you get on a rock. Also, keep your line tight or it will wrap around a rock.