Surf Perch?

F
FishSchooler
Seems like surf perch are everywhere along the coast, so Im thinkin of tryin em, read they're tasty too. Im usin my 8' 6" baitcaster and my amb 6500. Grubs are popular I know, but how should I fish for them? Retrieving patterns? Rigging patterns? Thanks

C
cavdad45
Great link! Thanks!

C
chris61182
And for those who don't already know better, the perch they show in that PDF isn't a surfperch :).

C
cavdad45
That was kinda funny, but who am I to argue with the "experts" at ODFW. Kinda makes ya wonder what else they know in regards to salmon, steelhead, bass, walleye....

A
ArcticAmoeba
Or them reporting a few Coho coming over the dam, to get pressure off of the Columbia, and on the the Sandy, and Clackamas. The other day I finally saw a few crazies throwing spinners, and jigs for coho. I hooked a Steelhead, and they were speechless that they just couldn't land a fish...The DFW is crazy to say the least.

F
FishSchooler
That looks like a yellow perch there... Ill be headin out tomarrow and wont post for 3 days... Hope I catch something with clams and grubs and mussels!

p.s. Ill bring some prawns back for you salmon/steelhead peeps... If I can... :lol:;):D

B
Boywhofishes
thanks for the link, i just learned about 3 new types of surfperch :shock:

i love this site, so much great info sharing :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

C
cchinook
chris

chris

you are right - that is not a surfperch - the one's I get are red tails -
I wonder if the people at Or. Dept. of Elmer Fudd can tell the difference between a moose and a salmon - they may have to put on their thinking caps for that one -

F
FishSchooler
Caught around 35 perch up in washinton, all 3-5 inches besides this one monster 11.5 inches!

B
Boywhofishes
nice was that yesterday?:clap:

F
FishSchooler
No fishing yesterday, just packin. Day before yesterday was the main source of fish.

M
Mustangdan23
Just went perch fishing last weekend they are pink fin perch on the oregon coast mostly, and sand shrimp or prawn is the best. We caught about 40 or so, good times

B
Boywhofishes
nice job:D:clap:

F
FishSchooler
I caught em on worms, clams, mussels, but they bite everything. They bite powerbait, grubs, rubber minnows, chunks of tuna, smelt heads, and so on. Well, I also caught a spider crap on a worm and 10 sculpins. They ate the fish heads and worms...

J
Joro_80
Where would be a good place to go for those close to Seasde/Cannon Beach. I know that there are some jeties down in Newport but it is too much of a drive.

B
Boywhofishes
they should be just out in the SURF pretty much anywhere along the coast but they like structure, i think:confused:

F
FishSchooler
Ya they really do. The pole that is holding the dock up and right under is the only place where the perch will hang out. They dont go in open water... no food!

B
Boywhofishes
just as i thought... and just like nemo.... no open water aways around structure :lol:

F
FishSchooler
Except nemo is a stupid clown. :lol: