Surf Perch rookie, givin it a go!

B
beaverfan
So I've always wanted to try surf fishing, finally I have a pole so I'm gonna try it! I've got the setup down. My only question is when is the best time to fish tide wise? Do I hit it when the tides coming in vs. going out?

M
Mad dog
Try fishing the last couple of hours of the incoming through high tide for redtails around steeper beaches near creek or river mouths. High slack or low slack can be good around rock cliffs, jetties, docks or pilings in bays for striped perch, especially if there are kelp beds nearby.
Coast027.jpg
Coast021.jpg
Bonus greenling near the rocks and kelp.
Coast012.jpg

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Awesome, thanks! I should be hitting it at a good time, right next to a creek! Great info and great pics, hopefully I'll have some pics of my own to post in a few hours!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good Luck and nice looking fish!

M
Mad dog
Good luck Man!!! I hope to hear a good report! Anxious to get out after the surf perch myself!

Mmmm.....fish taco's!

B
beaverfan
Oops forgot to report back...Well no fish but it was a beautiful day and I had a ton of fun. For anyone who hasn't surf fished before I urge you to try it! Poles are relatively cheap I got a combo that was only 45.00 at Fishermans. I did have several nice bites and did hook something that seemed rather large. As soon as I set the hook it took off and there wasn't any stopping it. No idea what that could have been, maybe a big ling or an octopus or something? I plan on making many many more trips out, you lose far less gear than when jetty fishing that's for sure.

D
Damon79
Not sure where you were fishing, but could have been a striper. I have never hooked one surf fishing, but I have talked to several people that have caught a striper while surf fishing.. If you were near the mouth of a river/creek, it could have been a salmon as well. Early returnign Coho or Springer?

B
beaverfan
There was a small creek but nothing salmon would return to. It was a little bit south of Tillamook Bay. About a mile from Oceanside.

M
Mad dog
beaverfan said:
Oops forgot to report back...Well no fish but it was a beautiful day and I had a ton of fun. For anyone who hasn't surf fished before I urge you to try it! Poles are relatively cheap I got a combo that was only 45.00 at Fishermans. I did have several nice bites and did hook something that seemed rather large. As soon as I set the hook it took off and there wasn't any stopping it. No idea what that could have been, maybe a big ling or an octopus or something? I plan on making many many more trips out, you lose far less gear than when jetty fishing that's for sure.
Are you positive that it wasn't a Sealion? I have had them sneek in and surface near me undetected many times! They can stayed down quite a while and travel a pretty good distance quickly.

B
beaverfan
It could very well have been a sea lion. I didn't get a look at it at all.

M
Mad dog
beaverfan said:
It could very well have been a sea lion. I didn't get a look at it at all.

We've had them try to get our shrimp or perch before!!! Another possibility is a California Halibut, unlikely this time of the year, plus they tend to stick closer to the bigger bays in later summer in Southern Oregon. I know those Cali. boys catch them right off the beach about this time of the year!

B
beaverfan
That's awesome! I'm gonna check the tides and try to hit it again this weekend! Next weekend I'm gonna be busy moving so I gotta get at least one more day of fishing in before I get involved in that crap. I need to spend some more time learning how to properly rig the sandshrimp, I don't think my presentation is all that it could be.

T
tongo
hey what type of rod/reel combo did you get? what length of rod and also how much did waders and everything cost you

B
beaverfan
Who are you asking? My rod was like $45.00 and I didn't use waders but the ones I have were like 150.00

T
troutmasta
tongo said:
hey what type of rod/reel combo did you get? what length of rod and also how much did waders and everything cost you

You want a long medium action rod. Id say 9 foot. You can pick up waders at bi-mart for 50 bucks, on the beach you probably wont need boots. Good Luck. Troutmasta.

B
beaverfan
Most surf fishing poles are between 10-13 feet. The one I have is 12ft and rated for 15-25lb line. Any good size fishing store should have a decent selection of surf poles. To effectively surf fish you need a pole that can cast a long ways and a reel that holds a lot of line. My reel holds I think 350yds of 15lb line. If your jetty fishing a shorter 9 foot rod will work well.

T
troutmasta
I surf fished last weekend the rod i used was 9' 6' maybe I just cast like an animal. Good Luck Bud!

T
tongo
thanks for all the help, so 15 lb line is good enough? do you think its possible to use 12 lb line? i'm going to seaside for a couple days and want to get started in surf fishing