Surf perch on lures?

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I’ve been using long light rods (okuma rockaway ml 11’, m 12’) for surf perch using bait but I want to try using spinners and spoons, and maybe even jerkbaits. I was at Tierra Del Mar the other day and a guy was using a red curly tail grub and orange rooster tails and he caught three surf perch while I caught nothing. Are lures really this effective in the NW? I’m thinking about getting a shorter lighter rod for artificial applications (Daiwa saltist lightaction surf) but I want to know if anyone else has had luck using lures in the surf..

Reactions: Admin
B
BrandonBeach
I have caught them on flys with a fly rod.. shrimp fly, red with orange and big yellow eyes.

BB

G
Gulfstream
I use a lucky craft stick bait when the conditions allow. You don't catch a lot, but the ones that bite are BIG!

Admin
Admin
Gulfstream said:
I use a lucky craft stick bait when the conditions allow.
What size? Sinking, floating or suspending?

C_Run
C_Run
I saw a guy catch one on a Blue Fox while salmon fishing on one of the small rivers on the south coast. The tide was coming in and we were close to the mouth. I'll stick with sand shrimp myself.

Reactions: Diehard
C
CastingCall
it all works, just keep moving, learn to read the surf on u-tube. GL Tony

G
Gulfstream
lucky craft salt water flash minnow 110 ms anchovy 41/2 inch

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Seems like spinners and jerkbaits are producing fish. Definitely will try it out

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Those are a staple and nessecity. They don’t fall off the hook and surf perch really hit them.

Reactions: Troutlover
evantobias
evantobias
Gulfstream said:
lucky craft salt water flash minnow 110 ms anchovy 41/2 inch
I second Gulfstream's rec! Also the Calissa offshore 110 is virtually identical and a couple $$ cheaper on amazon.

Diehard
Diehard
Sand shrimp tails work great never tried anything else and you can dig them for free at low tide in the bay behind old mill marina&campground if your fishing near there good luck