Surf perch need help

M
MarkMark
Looking for help!
Getting skunked fishing for surf perch
Using sabibki rig #4 hooks with glub sandworms. 1 to 2 oz weight.
Doing something wrong

Casting Call
Casting Call
just keep moving every 15min if no bites, move move, move, Tony

M
MarkMark
Thanks for the tip. Any other help is greatly appreciated. Fishing near Seaside, Cannon beach? getting skunked is no fun.

C_Run
C_Run
Scout where you are going to fish at low tide and look for drop offs and buckets and then fish those spots at high tide. Personally, I have done way better with sand shrimp but people swear by the Gulp worms. Move around like Tony said if you don't get any bites. There is a great Facebook page regarding surf perch in Oregon. Those guys dish a lot of great tips.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Surf perch are always moving along the beach In their never ending search for goodies churned up from the sand by the breakers crashing in.
You need to move as well. Once you find a feeding school the trick becomes figuring out which way they are moving.
Learning to read the surf can give an idea which places are more likely to have fish holdin.
Even though they do move they will of ten take a short rest in troughs and holes along the beach. Usually not for too long because the nearby areas get quickly eaten bare of food so they must move again.

G
Gulfstream
It has been slow down around Coos Bay area for sure. Try mole crabs if you can find them You may want to up your weight an oz on surgey days I would step up to a size 2 hook as well. We do best on the last 2 hrs of the incoming, but they will bite anytime if you can find them I am a member of the surf perch group on Facebook that C Run mentioned, Join up and you will get lots of good info and meet some fellow perch fisherpersons. Any more questions,just ask!

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
M
MarkMark
Casting Call said:
just keep moving every 15min if no bites, move move, move, Tony
Thanks Tony
For sure on moving

M
MarkMark
C_Run said:
Scout where you are going to fish at low tide and look for drop offs and buckets and then fish those spots at high tide. Personally, I have done way better with sand shrimp but people swear by the Gulp worms. Move around like Tony said if you don't get any bites. There is a great Facebook page regarding surf perch in Oregon. Those guys dish a lot of great tips.
Thanks
Hoping to start catching

M
MarkMark
plumbertom said:
Surf perch are always moving along the beach In their never ending search for goodies churned up from the sand by the breakers crashing in.
You need to move as well. Once you find a feeding school the trick becomes figuring out which way they are moving.
Learning to read the surf can give an idea which places are more likely to have fish holdin.
Even though they do move they will of ten take a short rest in troughs and holes along the beach. Usually not for too long because the nearby areas get quickly eaten bare of food so they must move again.
Thanks for helping
Hoping to start catching

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I’ve never heard of anyone using a sabiki rig... use a triple t-knot rig with smaller #4 baitholders with gulp sanworms, sand shrimp, squid and clams, or mole crabs. Also it might be that you’re not using enough weight. I tend to never use less than 3oz on the Oregon coast. Defidently no less than 2oz.

what is your setup? Rod, reel, line?