Surf perch fishing in Waldport

bass
bass
Hey folks,

I post this same request every year :)

Has anyone had any luck surf perch fishing in Waldport? I have had luck at Seal Rock, Newport, etc but never right in Waldport. We will be staying at a house that is in Bayshore estates (North bank of Alsea). Each year I walk down from that house and try to fish the surf but I have only every caught sculpin. I know that the seals likely keep the population in check, but I would assume there must be some perch there or the seals could not hang out there year round.

I know I can drive to Yachats, Seal Rock, Ona, Newport, etc and catch fish, but I will be on vacation with my family so fishing walking distance from the house is what is of interest. If anyone has ever caught a surf perch from that beach this time of year I would love to know. Mostly, I just want that motivation.

Thanks in advance for any info.

H
hydropsyche
You could always fish the mouth for salmon as well. My buddy was just down there and said he saw a few salmon landed from the bank near the mouth I'm assuming on the south side. Can't help with the perch only luck I ever had was fishing up in tide water in spring I always get skunked in the surf.

bass
bass
hydropsyche said:
You could always fish the mouth for salmon as well. My buddy was just down there and said he saw a few salmon landed from the bank near the mouth I'm assuming on the south side. Can't help with the perch only luck I ever had was fishing up in tide water in spring I always get skunked in the surf.

Thanks for the tip. I was waffling on whether to bring a salmon rod or not, but now I definitely will. Not sure I will get to use it but if I bring it there is always a chance :)

M
maajia
Is it OK/better to fish salmon from the dock inside of the bay?

H
hydropsyche
You can walk/wade out by the sea wall and the rock to the south for a short period during incoming tide.

M
Modest_Man
I just got back from Yachats. Crabbed the bay in Waldport and tossed some spinners halfheartedly while the pots were in. No luck on chinook. Didn't see any of the guys trolling hook up either. Just a tad early.

Did land some surf perch tossing spinners at the mouth of the Yachats while going for chinook though. I was getting hit on almost every cast, but only a couple stuck since I was using large hooks for chinook.

Fish for chinook as close to the jaws as possible. I don't think the dock would be very productive for chinook.

bass
bass
Thanks MM!

C_Run
C_Run
So, how did it go? Did you find the perch?

bass
bass
Forgot about this thread. Never got out fishing. Went boogey boarding with my daughter each day for 2-3 hours and played with my son in the dunes. Hung out with wife on the beach. A lot of fun but that did not leave any time for fishing. On the day we left we went into town to eat and I did see some folks tossing spinners under the bridge on the North side of the bay. Sorry for the late response.