Surf fishing tournament 12/26/2015 - Lincoln City

PK Yi
PK Yi
see attachment for more info.

I'm going to be holding a surf fishing tournament on saturday 12/26 in lincoln city. it will be at the D river state park.

$5 entry fee - which will be pooled into 3 cash prizes for first, second, & third place winners.

the $5 fee will also put you into a raffle drawing for a casting rod & reel combo --- see attachment for details.

one prize per winner only!

open to anyone 18 years or older.

the tournament will be weather dependent. high wind will cancel it. as well as snow since going over the coastal pass will be dangerous for folks.

duration: from 11am to 1pm. ***** check in time is at 10 am.

please send me your email first to register (via PM - don't post it here on the forum).

things to consider: this is my first tournament so expect some (lots of it?) hiccups. might be a good idea to bring a partner to help you weigh your catch by bringing fish to me since I'll be up and down the beach trying to weigh people's catch. the more people there is the more challenging it will be for me to weigh everyone's fish, so having a partner will lessen your down time and keep you fishing more. if I get too many people, I might cut off the registration early --- I'd like to keep it small so it's easier for me to manage. I'll learn a lot from this first outing, and will correct my mistakes in future tournaments. surf fishing can be VERY dangerous if you don't know the oregon surf - the waves are big, scary, and they crash hard onto the beach; not only that but the water rushing back is also very swift and powerful. learning to read the surf and staying safe is far more important than catching fish (again - I suggest having a partner if you're new to oregon surf fishing).

I'm probably missing a lot of info here, so feel free to contact me or make suggestions. I'm hoping this is the start of something big later on.

- PK

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for putting this together Sammy. Good luck and I hope the weather cooperates.

C_Run
C_Run
Unfortunately I'll be far away on the 26th. I might suggest having some kind of social event afterwards like a potluck. There are two salt water tournaments that NW kayak anglers promotes and they have grown from simple meetups to pretty good sized events in a few years. They always have a fish taco feed afterwards. It might be a nice addition to the tournament. Good luck.

PK Yi
PK Yi
cool. thanks guys. the potluck sounds like a great idea later on once we get the numbers.

however, looking at the forecast, I have a feeling mother nature isn't going to cooperate. we'll wait and see early next week.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hi PK! !st,2nd &3rd places for what? heavyest? bigest? total stringer wt.? boundries tillamook to newport? live or dead? Tony

PK Yi
PK Yi
Casting Call said:
Hi PK! !st,2nd &3rd places for what? heavyest? bigest? total stringer wt.? boundries tillamook to newport? live or dead? Tony

it would be total stringer weight. "biggest fish" prize will be add in a later tournament. this first one is just to get my feet wet and get a feel for it.

however, as things are looking, I don't think this tournament is going to happen so I'll end up cancelling it. mother nature is extremely pissed off at the moment. weather forecast looks bleak for the next week.

T
twout
Great idea, Sammy. My hats off to you for putting something like this together. Sure wish I could participate but my work schedule won't allow. Please don't run up and down the beach trying to weigh everyone's catch. Set up a predetermined time and place for everyone to be for "weigh in" and how big of a stringer full they are allowed.
Good luck to you.

C_Run
C_Run
This is a great idea. There seems to be a lot more interest in surf perch on the forum this year. Spring time might be a better choice, though.

P
pinstriper
C_Run said:
This is a great idea. There seems to be a lot more interest in surf perch on the forum this year. Spring time might be a better choice, though.

Let's see...no boat, no endorsement, no tags, practically no limit, open all year, plenty of elbow room. Shockingly popular.

If you can get over the summit, the coast is often 10+ degrees warmer than the valley, so a great escape.

PK Yi
PK Yi
(can't seem to locate the EDIT button on my original post...)

anyhow, I'm gonna have to cancel this tournament due to bad weather. nothing but rain, wind, and more rain and wind.

I will post again about a later date, sometime early next year when mother natures calms down a little bit.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sammy said:
(can't seem to locate the EDIT button on my original post...)

anyhow, I'm gonna have to cancel this tournament due to bad weather. nothing but rain, wind, and more rain and wind.

I will post again about a later date, sometime early next year when mother natures calms down a little bit.

bummer, as for the 'edit' feature, I believe it is only available for 24 hours after you make a post...

G
Gulfstream
Lets hope the next time it is scheduled,the weather will cooperate! Thanks P K:thumb: