Surf fishing at South Beach? (Newport)

M
micah_man1
I'm taking my wife and some friends camping at South Beach, the middle of next month, and wanted to know if anyone has had any sucess surf fishing there.

T
The Nothing
the jetty there is a very popular place to fish.

M
micah_man1
Thanks for the response. I've done LOTS of fishing from the jetty, I've just never tried surf fishing there by the campground.

M
madoc
I would hazard a guess that you could fish for surf perch out there, but I've only ever stayed at the campground, never any fishing at those times for me.

T
The Nothing
It's been a long while since I've actually been on So. Beach, but I think it's a bit shallow. It'll produce, but not as quickly as some other beaches might.

C
cchinook
red tail surf perch

red tail surf perch

oh yes !! all you need are worms and waders - try not to get swept out to sea - it is not a casting contest - they are in less than 6" of water sometimes - look for seals in the surf chasing them - they are a schooling fish - they are great eating - rig like this - lead at the bottom of your rig -
and 2 leaders spaced about 12" apart - 3 oz - 5oz. of lead - I used to fish for them all the time until I became obsessed with salmon and steel - the way the salmon runs are going I may have to revisit that fishery -

M
micah_man1
Great! I'll have to give it a try. What size/type of hook would you recomend?

T
The Nothing
#2 snells or baitholders are what i usually use

M
Mike B
and...

and...

what kind of worms? I used to use sand or sea worms back east but don't know if that's what we use out here or if people mean earthworms.

F
FishSchooler
I believe Cchinook means regular old nightcrawlers, or earthworms. You could also try mussels, clam necks, shrimp, sand crab, mole crab... I have had them bite at everything (I could see tiny perch, or what I thought was perch, nipping at it) like powerbait, small bass grubs, small squid jigs, bare shiny hooks, salmon eggs, crab legs, other bits of fish (sculpin) and so on... One guy was using a perfect halibut steak! :shock: