Surf fishin'

T

thelibrarian

I hope to be soon. I'm heading to the coast this weekend and thinking about tossing a couple lead pyramids off the edge of the world! I grew up fishing in Santa Cruz and Ventura. I miss the salt!

Any tips on North coast surf fishing? I'll bee between Canon Beach and Seaside looking for a spot...

T

The Nothing

can't call myself a surf fisherman, but I do enjoy surf fishing. I've only had one oportunity, and looking forward to getting out some more over the summer.

I'd imagine the fishing might be down around Ecola Park. Haven't been there in a long time, so couldn't tell you for sure. Much of what I remember about Seaside is fairly shallow beach, which doesn't usually equate with good fishing in Oregon beaches.

M

MontanaMoose

Surf fishin'

I used to from south of Huntington Beach in CA clear up to Santa Barbara and it was great. Cabs were a favorite. I want to go again because it's been too long but now I'll flyfish...that has to be a lot of fun.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

L

lechner

I've become a surf addict as of late and usually hit the jetties in Newport or Barview with some success. In fact, I was thinking about hitting the coast this weekend.

F

fourgotten

I've become a surf addict as of late and usually hit the jetties in Newport or Barview with some success. In fact, I was thinking about hitting the coast this weekend.

I, also, am a surf junkie... almost went today... but didn't 'cause the weather report looked like suck.

I am heading out Saturday, and possibly Sunday, to Newport to hit the jetties and maybe the aquarium... If I see ya out there, I'll be the one with the bamboo poke-pole and waders...

H

Hawk

they won't letya use that pokepole in the aquarium Bro..................................:lol::lol::lol:...........................:cool::cool::cool:

F

fourgotten

they won't letya use that pokepole in the aquarium Bro..................................:lol::lol::lol:...........................:cool::cool::cool:

Drat! There goes my plan!!!! And those huge rockfish in there would be sooooo tasty, too... Oh well... :( Guess that I'll just save the fishin' for the jetty...

L

lechner

Ha, that aquarium is a big seafood bonanza just waiting to happen.

I'll be on the south Jetty in Newport with a few friends on Sunday between 10 and 6 and will say hi to whomever I see poke poling. Good luck out there!

F

fourgotten

Ha, that aquarium is a big seafood bonanza just waiting to happen.

I'll be on the south Jetty in Newport with a few friends on Sunday between 10 and 6 and will say hi to whomever I see poke poling. Good luck out there!

I keep wanting to show up there with a bib, chopsticks, and a bottle of soy sauce to see what they'd say... ;)

F

fish_4_all

I really like surf fishing. Am working on some flies for it. If I can get one to work and not have to bait up every cast I would be even happier to go more often.

Anyone ever use the Sabiki Rigs for surf perch? I have heard they work well but am having a hard time believing it.

F

fourgotten

I really like surf fishing. Am working on some flies for it. If I can get one to work and not have to bait up every cast I would be even happier to go more often.

Anyone ever use the Sabiki Rigs for surf perch? I have heard they work well but am having a hard time believing it.

Keep in mind that you're limited to three hooks in Oregon, excepting that a herring jig may be used... Oregon defines a herring jig as "A series of single point hooks that are no larger than 3/8 inch gap between point and shank. Herring jigs are typically
used to catch species such as herring, sardine, and anchovy. A herring jig may have any number of hooks."

I could see the small sabiki rigs that we use for herring picking up perch pretty easily... down side is that the ones that I find are all, like 12-lb and it's hard to keep from snapping a rig like that when using heavy surf sinkers.

A

ArcticAmoeba

Sabiki rigs do work well if you size them right for the species you are targeting.

I used a couple different plastics for Surf Perch quite a few times. Big Hammer Perch grubs were killer, and also we heard that some crazy, scented trout worms worked well. We tried Gulp's Alive variety, and did pretty well, and they stay on the hook for ever!

F

fish_4_all

We have a 3 hook limit here too but they sell them with 3 hooks so that is one way to go. I actually make my own so I can customize the lengths and line weight on them.

As for snapping them off, I use a steelhead or salmon rod for surf fishing so no worried there. I like to actually "fish" for them instead of throwing it a mile and sitting and waiting. Easier to move around and I seem to catch ore than the "plunkers".

B

Bike 'N' Fish

I have become a surf fishing addict. It is so much fun no matter the weather. I wear chest waders to prevent the cold water from cutting my day short, and even when water gets inside them, it just acts as insulation against the cold. I am working on really dialing in the best way to catch them...fishing like a scientist is fun! I have only tried a few different changes in my gear (hi/lo rig with 2 oz circle weight, Gulp! camo 2 inch sand grubs as bait). I've used different size hooks and chameleon and clear leader. They seem to respond best to clear leader (line shy?). The 2 oz is really the minimum I have found works in the surf. Anything less gets really beat around and you end up reeling/re-casting quite a lot. Tension is difficult to maintain with a 1-oz weight as well. I'm going to be trying some other baits that I've seen other people using successfully and will report back! Also, I've found that cloudy days are the best days. Low wind, not a choppy surf, but good swells..that's the conditions they seem to bite *best* during. Tight lines!

C

christopherbeebe

I have also become a bit of a surf junkie as of late. the last/only 3 times I've been out i have not been skunked, over those times I have caught a total of 15 perch in about 6 hours of total fishing time 2 hours here, 2 hours there ect... I have been also fine tuning my skills using different techniques. I cannot say much for jetty fishing as of late, it used to be real good when I lived here 20 years ago.but I'm yet to bring anything home from any of the jetties yet. Coos Bay south Jetty, Newport south jetty, Florence north and south jetty. So picking up surf fishing has redeemed a little bit of my fishing self esteem.LOL! here is a few pics of the fish I kept. the ones on the beach were taken 8/22 and the ones on the cleaning station were taken on the 22nd of July

Attachments

• photo31670.jpg
    photo31670.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 67
  • photo31671.jpg
    photo31671.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 61
  • photo31672.jpg
    photo31672.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
G

Gulfstream

Most Featured
I THINK THE BEST BAIT FOR PERCH IS SOFT SHELL SAND CRABS WITH ROE IN THEM! my second choice is gulp sand worms

W

Willerman

I am headed to cape lookout camping with the family this weekend. Is this a good beach to surf perch fisv and a good time of year? I have never surf fished before and will probably be using the gulp worms. TIA!

C

cdumitru78

There is plenty of them around there, I always did well there. You can also go on the rocks in front of that restaurant in Neatarts, Schooner's if memory serves me right, caught them from the rocks as well.

Top Bottom