Sunset Bay questions on fishing, clamming and crabbing

Ikijime

Ikijime

Hello all!

Some friends from my volunteer circles are planning a camping trip at Sunset Campgrounds, adjacent to Sunset Bay, South of Charleston (Coos Bay). We’ve got reservations for March 10[SUP]th[/SUP] (Fri evening) to the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] (Sunday morning). I’m planning on bringing my fishing kayak, and one member of the group may have his boat.

I’ve been scouring our forum and the internet in general and have figured out that, in the past,

1. mussels and razor clams have been available for harvest at low, minus tides.

2. Some rockfish are accessible in the rocky areas of the bay

3. At times, contaminants are a concern enough that ODFW released advisories.

I was wondering if I could get any recent updates or general advice regarding clamming, bottom or surf fishing or crabbing within Sunset Bay and/or within a few minutes of the area.

Thanks!

James

C_Run

C_Run

There are some YouTube videos of fishing there. http://www.yakangler.com/kayak-fish...o-kayak-fish-the-oregon-coast-pt-4-sunset-bay for example.

The contaminants kind of come and go but, unless there is something recent, I wouldn't worry about it. I have not fished it myself but have stopped by there quite a few times and have seen folks fishing from the rocks around the north side of the bay. Also, there are trails along the bluffs south of the park where people observe the sea lions. I recall some "fishing trails" down to the water in one spot but can't tell you exactly where that was. It wasn't too far away, though. Bastendorf County park is close and I believe people fish for surf perch there.

Ikijime

Ikijime

Thanks for the input, C_Run!

TheKnigit

TheKnigit

There are several pullouts along that road from Bastendorf to Cape Arago. Each one typically leads down to the water where you can fish from the rocks. I normally jig sand shrimp tied above a rubber swirly tail jig with decent success.

Ikijime

Ikijime

Thanks for the input, guys!

Ikijime

Ikijime

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/FoodSafety/Shellfish/Pages/ShellfishClosures.aspx
[h=3]Recreational shellfish harvesting status[/h]
The recreational harvest of razor clams is CLOSED from the Columbia River to the California border for elevated levels of domoic acid. This includes all beaches and all bays.

The recreational harvest of mussels is CLOSED from Cape Arago (south of Coos Bay) to the California border for elevated levels of paralytic shellfish toxin.

The recreational harvesting of mussels is OPEN from the Columbia River to Cape Arago.

The recreational harvest of bay clams is OPEN along the entire Oregon Coast from the Columbia River to the California border.

Recreational crab harvesting is OPEN along the entire coast from the Columbia River to the California border.

thanks for the link, pinstriper!

James

Ikijime

Ikijime

Guess I can harvest mussels & other types of clams come minus tide. I'm also tempted to fabricate a pokepole to use along the rocks at low tide for bottom fish...

Ikijime

Ikijime

TheKnight, do you tie the sand shrimp to the lead jig head w magic thread?

TheKnigit

TheKnigit

There are several places along the road that you can harvest muscles....but be prepared to get wet.

I typically put the sand shrimp on snell hooks tied above the jig at about 16"-18" spacing. I don't use any thread. Just split the shrimp in half and feed the body on the hook. The head goes on one hook and the tail on another. The jig I typically place a swirly tail rubber grub on, I tend to like the sparkly purple ones....no idea what the color is called.

Ikijime

Ikijime

Well, my friends went primarily to crab, so I went with them and tried fishing for pile perch from the docks that they were lowering their crab pots from. I guess it's early yet for them.

I did attend a clam digging workshop at the bait and tackle shop in town & caught my limit of gaper, butter & cockle clams!

James

TheKnigit

TheKnigit

At least you got some clams! Now time to make a batch of chowder.

Top Bottom