Sunday options

F
FishSchooler
Please. One chance for coho, I want for it to be a success. Please share some good holes. Don't mind a short hike (like the cedar creek hike).
Anywhere on the Sandy is fine.
Method would be greatly appreciated too. I might be gettin' some gushy store bought eggs to tonight too. ;)

I will be drifting spinner and yarn or eggs... heck maybe even some pautzke's.

M
metalmania
Anywhere on the sandy should produce. Red spinners should work well, leave the guides choice eggs at home:D.

F
FishSchooler
metalmania said:
Anywhere on the sandy should produce. Red spinners should work well, leave the guides choice eggs at home:D.

Har har, it wont be guide's choice this time! Dick's here has like 5 huge freezers full of baits... Im sure there are multiple types of eggs to choose from.
There's Ray's bait works eggs and these other borax eggs I remember from last time.

Probably will be around the dodge/cedar area.

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
Har har, it wont be guide's choice this time! Dick's here has like 5 huge freezers full of baits... Im sure there are multiple types of eggs to choose from.
There's Ray's bait works eggs and these other borax eggs I remember from last time.

Probably will be around the dodge/cedar area.

I'd rather take money that your gonna spend on crappy eggs and buy spinners.
Only store bought eggs I know of that will catch a fish are Amermans and Marie's.

F
FishFinger
Just my two cents here... I wouldn't go to cedar creek; especially on the weekend. There will be too many people for it to be fun for you and your dad.

Besides, I was there today w/ Andy. Worked hell hole down to the mouth of CC and had no action. Only saw two dark Chinook roll all morning. Trust me we presented everything and I only had one trout on the sage to show for it.

Something is odd... The river should be chocked with fish but they are not in the "usual" spots. Rumor is they may well have blown up river w/ the freshits the full moon recently. I haven't heard anything from the Salmon river, but I'm wondering if clipped are in good numbers there.

Not telling you what to do but I'd recommend Dodge. Sunrise is like 7:12 so get there 30-45 mins early. Start at the tail out of the hole and work up river. *( I mean work it 10 casts, then 3 steps up river, 10 cast, 3 steps...) if you haven't had any success by the time you've made it to the bridge, travel up river. Fish the pocket water, working the eddies behind the rocks. Then make your way to the next pool up river.

Gear up... DAndy slayer type coloration spinner, ** brass blade... & pin a 5mm salmon red bed 12" ahead of your spinner. Eggs & bobber!

Good luck!

W
wannastealhead
okay, so I am new, but....

okay, so I am new, but....

Hooked 15 fish on the sandy the last couple days on.....bobber down!!!!

M
Mike123
I keep hearing the Clackamas is wayy better right now.

F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:
Just my two cents here... I wouldn't go to cedar creek; especially on the weekend. There will be too many people for it to be fun for you and your dad.

Besides, I was there today w/ Andy. Worked hell hole down to the mouth of CC and had no action. Only saw two dark Chinook roll all morning. Trust me we presented everything and I only had one trout on the sage to show for it.

Something is odd... The river should be chocked with fish but they are not in the "usual" spots. Rumor is they may well have blown up river w/ the freshits the full moon recently. I haven't heard anything from the Salmon river, but I'm wondering if clipped are in good numbers there.

Not telling you what to do but I'd recommend Dodge. Sunrise is like 7:12 so get there 30-45 mins early. Start at the tail out of the hole and work up river. *( I mean work it 10 casts, then 3 steps up river, 10 cast, 3 steps...) if you haven't had any success by the time you've made it to the bridge, travel up river. Fish the pocket water, working the eddies behind the rocks. Then make your way to the next pool up river.

Gear up... DAndy slayer type coloration spinner, ** brass blade... & pin a 5mm salmon red bed 12" ahead of your spinner. Eggs & bobber!

Good luck!

Dodge! Good idea. Its also no hike as well, so more dad "friendly" haha. ;)
I also picked up some ElaZTech rubber scented eggs to give a try. It's really easy to make some very nice 5-6 egg clusters with them, perfect for a size 1 owner hook (which I bought a pack as well) along with a 6 in fillet knife w/ a sharpening sheath, pretty darn nice pliers, fish forceps, a very nice hook file, a line clipper a fishing CD, a Rapala lanyard and a double tool holding case for 19.99 :D.

Have you seen how big the moon is tonight?

kirkster
kirkster
Good luck

Good luck

Hey fishschooler, Good luck I hope you and your dad nail some big ones and if you guys do dont forget the pics:lol:

F
FishSchooler
Yay he got a tag tonight... now to fill that tag by 3s and he can now stop sleeping or reading in the car and start fishing with me haha

B
bigdog
Good luck out there Kevin hope you get in to some fish, but you really need to put more time on the water then one day a year :lol:

F
FishSchooler
bigdog said:
Good luck out there Kevin hope you get in to some fish, but you really need to put more time on the water then one day a year :lol:

Haha...

We woke up at 4:30! That beat last year by about an hour. ;)
Breakfast was... toast w/ PB, yogurt, and milk.
Left at 5:10.
It was pouring on the way there! I have to say, loud raindrops mixed with whispering obnoxious music while driving in fog with no sun is a very strange feeling...

Got to dodge at 6:10, no flashlight! So my dad turned on the car lights and I headed down with a drift rig and my ElazTech eggs... haha
Quite a few fish were jumping in the car light and I couldnt get a feel of the sandy bottom, so I ran back for the bobber'in rod.
God the bobber rod, put a 6 egg cluster on the size 1 hook set the stop to about 7 feet, and started casting...
Several passes and bobber down! Ugh I missed it... first time bobber fishing.
Several more bites, I keep setting the hook when there is still slack on the line.
Sun was up and we could see, so my dad walked down with the backpack/other rod. He took the bobber rod and I started casting my spinners... no TCO's in hand. Lost a few spinners, and I see the bobber go down on the other rod. I tell him to reel in slack and swing the rod back.
He reels in slack, sets the hook, over sets the hook, falls back, while the rod is still bouncing in his hand... and it's gone. We should be havin fish for lunch!

So I start using the bobber and the fish are still rolling/jumping. Then all goes silent. No more action, but a guy catches a jack downstream of us.

Lost a bobber to a tree and I think 4 spinners... oh well.
I still get to fillet a sockeye from the freezer. :cool:

T
Troutier Bassier
Im sorry, Better luck next time,

Good to wake up Early though. :D

A
Anyfishisfine
FishSchooler said:
Dick's here has like 5 huge freezers full of baits... Im sure there are multiple types of eggs to choose from.

Did that Dicks finally open? I cringe at the thought, but I should check it out since it is very close. In fact I can't go anywhere at all without driving past it.

Good luck on getting a fish today. Hopefully this won't be your only chance. Car in like 3 years, right? Then you will be a fishing fool!

F
FishSchooler
Anyfishisfine said:
Did that Dicks finally open? I cringe at the thought, but I should check it out since it is very close. In fact I can't go anywhere at all without driving past it.

Good luck on getting a fish today. Hopefully this won't be your only chance. Car in like 3 years, right? Then you will be a fishing fool!

No I meant the one at the mall... haha
License in 3 years 1 month and 8 days

T
Troutier Bassier
If you pass the Test....

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
No I meant the one at the mall... haha
License in 3 years 1 month and 8 days

I think I seen you down there FS.. how old are you?

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
I think I seen you down there FS.. how old are you?

12, almost 13

If I looked stuck there thats me... as my mom takes the usual 3x the amount of time at Macy's then she says she will. :lol:;)

I used stay in the kastmaster aisle. They had one selling for two cents (according to the lable) and they would always be gone!

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
12, almost 13

If I looked stuck there thats me... as my mom takes the usual 3x the amount of time at Macy's then she says she will. :lol:;)

I used stay in the kastmaster aisle. They had one selling for two cents (according to the lable) and they would always be gone!

Hahaha... you aren't the asian kid then who's dad was with him?

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
Hahaha... you aren't the asian kid then who's dad was with him?

Asian, yes... but Dad, the only time was that was friday. We were looking at golf clubs for my dad... and we spent tons of time at the simulator with someone helping him choose. Then I dragged him to get a fillet knife, because Im always thinking I have to be 18 or older to touch those things... haha but we came out with the whole kit with the knife, pliers, and everything.