Summers are here!!!!!!!!!

P
plumb2fish
Sorry no pics, but the fisrst summer of the season has been caught on the McKenzie.....:cool:

S
skunk
Nice, wish it was a closer river.

S
SALTYFISH
Yes they are, not vary many but there is a couple. I know of a couple that have been caught on the santiams to but only winters for me still.

N
nativefish
check the count at the falls they are coming in hard and fast, and have been for almost a month. Still winters coming too, around 50-75 fish a day.

S
SantiamDrifter
nativefish said:
check the count at the falls they are coming in hard and fast, and have been for almost a month. Still winters coming too, around 50-75 fish a day.

I wouldnt call it hard and fast, not till they hit 100 a day. Waters still gotta warm up a little tho, this recent rain will slow that down. But hopefully not by much. Were a little behind where we were last year, but thats becuz of the lower water temps. Once the flow rates go on the drop and the river warms up, we're gunna see a big push of summers. Then once we hit 52-52 the springers! Last year they started running in mid april, but I think we might be a little behind that this year. Probably closer to may.

R
rippin fish lips
yes!!!! that just got my blood pumping and my adreniline going and im sitting here typing this while its dark and i can't go out!! :( looks like im steelheading in the morning on the mac!!!!! going to start fishing the mac and willy really really hard early and all summer long!!

S
SantiamDrifter
rippin fish lips said:
yes!!!! that just got my blood pumping and my adreniline going and im sitting here typing this while its dark and i can't go out!! :( looks like im steelheading in the morning on the mac!!!!! going to start fishing the mac and willy really really hard early and all summer long!!

Dont get burnt out! lol

R
rippin fish lips
SantiamDrifter said:
Dont get burnt out! lol

I dont think i could ever get burned out for summer steely fishing :D and plus i needa focus early in the season now :p last year i was killing em later in the season.

M
michigan_transplant
Friend of mine at work was saying that her boyfriend has been killing them off the Columbia all week.

R
rippin fish lips
went out on the mac today, got a late start do to sleeping through my alarm clock!!! :eek: Yesteday i was lookin at the water and it looked almost prime, green with 3-4 foot visibility. showed up today and the river shot up about a half a foot to a foot. with 1-2 feet of visiblity depending on where u r at. Saw one guy hook a really nice redside fly fishing... about 18 inches or so. I kept makin my casts with my hardware, switching back and forth from spoons, to spinners. Got a couple good hits from trout, and got one really hard hit from a really big fish!!!!!!! Could it have been that second steelie i was looking for!?!? It sure did feel like an agressive strike from a summer steelhead!! :D was still a good day on the river. but with this warmer weather coming and the snow pack melting i think the river might be blown out here in the next couple days.

P
plumb2fish
there have now been at least 4 steelies caught below Leaburg....these are only the ones i know of...

D
durantmatt
nativefish said:

What falls can I look up to find fish counts?

S
SantiamDrifter
Willamette Falls. Go to ODFW's website and click on the fish count link.

S
sammyj
I'm going up there next monday from the bank, only fished just below the dam, want to try greenwood, the count at the falls is pretty good, hope I get into something

B
bran_man
SantiamDrifter said:
Willamette Falls. Go to ODFW's website and click on the fish count link.

Good luck! I'll probably be out there at least close by if the water drops by then (prob not :( ) right now its pretty blown out.....

D
durantmatt
Thanks

B
bran_man
I managed to catch one today! Check my new topic to see a pic!

S
sammyj
Nice fish! Looks like some good eats, Congrats man!