Summer trout??

M
michigan_transplant
Getting kind of sick of battling the crowds at the Steelhead holes on the Santiam and was thinking of going after some trout next weekend. I had talked to some people who said some of the trout lakes slow down as it gets into the summer. (ie Olalla, EE Wilson, Big Creek Reservoir) Is this true and if so where can I get into some summer trout fishing close to Corvallis (by close i mean about an hour drive there.) Does Foster Dam still produce as the summer drags on???

Thanks for the replies.

Admin
Admin
Ponds (like EE Wilson) are just dead during summer. Water gets too hot for trout, so ODFW stops stocking them about May. Big deep lakes, rivers, and creeks are the answer for summer trout.

M
michigan_transplant
thanks Anatoliy. I think i have seen you out on EE Wilson throwing a fly around from time to time. Do you know where the closest Big Deep Lake that would be holding some summer trout to Corvallis would be??

Admin
Admin
EE Wilson became my "home" water after I moved to Corvallis. :D Green Peter is about 45 mnts from Corvallis. What method do you use? For spinners there is a good place at Irish bank (about 15mnts from Corvallis).

R
rippin fish lips
If your ever in the springfield/eugene area, u could try the willamette river near the I-5 bridge, some good spots around there, ot the mckenzie, at hayden brige, or up towards leaburg, above the damn too. Or below dexter damn, there is good trout fishing there, no treble hooks above the 200 foot marker pole tho.

M
michigan_transplant
I've heard of this Irish Bank but never went. How do I get there, and is the fishing good??

M
michigan_transplant
anyone have any recent reports of Foster or Green Peter for bows??