Summer steelie help

F
fishy4
just starting to learn the drift fishing gig. if there are any tips i should know? what would they be? jigs? or sandshrimp or? i dont know eggs under bobber? i like to fish the clackamas but to no avail. also the trask would be cool to learn. thanks

E
everett464
If it's not a fly, it's not worth it.

I kid, I kid, but seriously, fly fishing is a blast. I don't have a ton of info on alternative methods, but if you are drifting flies, I like to drift nymphs under an indicator in the morning, switch to a swung wet in the middle, and then to dries in the late afternoon.

C
Cohosanders
Well there is drifting and then there is bobber Look under sticky(drifting or bobber what works for you). I have been using a water bobber because it is low key, a weight , and an indicator.You can fill them half way for bobber action or all of the way for drifting action. I did some jig/sight fishing that was really successful the other day. Spotted the fish and then ran just the the jig(no bobber or weight) in front of their face and jigged it!!!! caught two that way. Drifting can be frustrating w/ hang-ups and bottom hits that feel like bites, but very effective once mastered. Use all of your tackle...that's what I do and I never seem to get bored. The Wilson and Clack is where I have concentrated my efforts, but The Sandy has been really good to other OFFers offers:lol:
Good luck out there.

Last edited:
E
eggs
if drift fishing have like 4 different size slinkies(i make my own so have like 10 sizes).. start light.. if you dont hit bottom on the drift put on the next biggest, do this until you touch bottom 3-5 timesa drift.. you wont loose as much tackle and still be on the bottom. you dont have to be dragging the bottom to get fish.. if you keep getting hung up go one size smallers and know you are close to the bottom but still fishing and not retying all day.. also stick with a 18"-24" leader, any shorter can make for a bad presentation and any longer you might not feel the take until it is too late.. bait always works best but comes at a price.. corky/yark + scent is cheap.. pink worms drift well too and are pretty cheap.. if your using 10# mainline run 6# leader so if you do get snagged you dont loose everything just your hook and leader..

bobber fishing.. match your wieght to your bobber.. run a leader that is a couple feet long.. start short and move your bobber stop up until you see your bobber pointing down river(your draggin bottom) then bring the bobber stop down 6" and your good to go.. again bait works best but at a price.. a jig can be used for a LONG time for a small price but you need 5-10 jigs in different styles and colors to match river conditions and fish preference.. again a pink worm works great too and is cheap.. if your running 12# mainline run 8# leader under your swivel so if you get snagged you don't loose your bobber(some are spendy) and wieght just the jig/hook and leader.

different river conditions make for different needs.. you will learn what works best for the river your on under different conditions with time.. dirty water = scent, bigger presentation and brighter colors.. clear water = smaller presentation and more natural colors..

F
fishy4
thank you all great info. The only time i drift fished i did the bowling alley hole on the clackamas. all i have to say. is it was too crowded and too many people were snagging. so i just ended up leaving frustrated at the stupidity of some people. thanks again.

F
First Bite
Whatever option you choose, keep your offering small and subtle. Red and/or blacks are good colors for summers.

M
metalfisher76
I rig similar to eggs but I have always used pencil lead. If ya leave a tag end above a swivel on yer mainline you can crimp the amount of pencil lead you need to down. If ya get hung up, most of the time you`ll pull yer tag out of the lead and all ya gotta do is crimp on another chunk. 2 cents