Summer steelhead fishing

U
Utahutes
New to this when does the summer run start on umpqua. Also north south santium river. Does alsea have summer run. THANKS

troutdude
troutdude
The Santiams should be underway now. I'm not sure about the Umpqua.

C_Run
C_Run
There aren't too many summers over the dam at Oregon city right now . 2000+ divided between all the tributaries so they are far between. I went last weekend and we did not get anything in 8 hours in the boat. Hardly anyone was fishing for a weekend. But yes, there are some to be had but it is slow now.

Reactions: markasd and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Speaking of Summer Steelhead. Does anybody know if the Eugene 'Town Run' is a thing of the past or if they still release steelhead in Eugene/Springfield?

Reactions: markasd
troutdude
troutdude
@jamisonace ... Hey Jamison, can you help w/ Max's question?

@maxwyatt Jamison lived in Springfield until just a year or two ago. And fished that run regularly. If anyone can tell you; it's Jamison.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxwyatt
M
markasd
Yes - Town run is still a thing.. hit it!!

Reactions: maxwyatt and troutdude
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
markasd said:
Yes - Town run is still a thing.. hit it!!
Thank you. I'll hit a couple spots after work this week.

I fished below Dexter down to the islands yesterday and have nothing but a lovely 14" trout for my efforts. I did see one fish roll, but I don't know if it was Chinook or steelhead. Based on the water, I'm guessing Steelhead.

Reactions: markasd
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
I tossed beads and spinners into all the holes I know about between Glenwood and Ferry st yesterday evening. I had a few trout nip my spinner, but that was it. It was hot as hades.

btw, sorry to hijack the original intent of the thread. @Utahutes the Alsea only has winter steelhead

U
Utahutes
troutdude said:
The Santiams should be underway now. I'm not sure about the Umpqua.
Wondering about below elkton or would be better above.

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Been hitting the Willamette along the bike paths in Eugene lately. Just a few hours at a time. I'm finding lots of small un-clipped trout, if I put on a smaller lure, but still no luck for the big fish. Seen a couple roll though; I believe they were giving me the middle finger, so to speak.

I'm curious about the Umpqua too. I'm pretty new at this so any leads would be much appreciated.

troutdude
troutdude
maxwyatt said:
Seen a couple roll though; I believe they were giving me the middle finger, so to speak.

ROTFLMBO!