Summer steelhead

E
eugene1
Nice to see, good luck!

With those kind of numbers it might even be worth fishing for them in Eugene! Hopefully it's a better run than last year.

M
Modest_Man
Amazing how they knew to wait until March to start crossing the falls.

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:

It's absolutely uncanny. In fact, I believe historically, no "summer run" has ever crossed the Falls until March.

D
DrTheopolis
6 springers over, compared to 54 at this time last year.

E
eugene1
Modest_Man said:

MM, do you know if they record if the fish are clipped or not at the Willy falls ladder?

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:
MM, do you know if they record if the fish are clipped or not at the Willy falls ladder?

I don't believe they keep track at the Falls, like at other counting stations (I think Willy Falls has some pretty crude equipment).

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis said:
I don't believe they keep track at the Falls, like at other counting stations (I think Willy Falls has some pretty crude equipment).

Yes, I'm not sure either but I thought people reviewed video passage there and they did record marked fish? Hopefully MM will know for sure.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Theyll come over as soon as the water temp hits 53.

DrTheopolis said:
6 springers over, compared to 54 at this time last year.

M
Modest_Man
eugene1 said:

Any clipped fish after March 1 is recorded as a summer. Any wild fish after March 1 is recorded as a winter. That's their differentiation between summers and winters. It's mostly true, but not 100% correct. So you can see the clip rate only for March, April, and May in the spreadsheets. It is recorded as well, just not posted online (you can see the springer clip % rate at the bottom, though the fish are not broken up into hatchery and wild columns).

As to the springers, look at the flows. 50,500 cfs this March 245h vs. 18,000 cfs last March 24th. Takes the fish longer to find the ladders at higher cfs. As flows drop and temp increases numbers will jump.

E
eugene1
Thanks, MM!

Bring on the summer runs!

Modest_Man said:
Any clipped fish after March 1 is recorded as a summer. Any wild fish after March 1 is recorded as a winter. That's their differentiation between summers and winters. It's mostly true, but not 100% correct. So you can see the clip rate only for March, April, and May in the spreadsheets. It is recorded as well, just not posted online (you can see the springer clip % rate at the bottom, though the fish are not broken up into hatchery and wild columns).

As to the springers, look at the flows. 50,500 cfs this March 245h vs. 18,000 cfs last March 24th. Takes the fish longer to find the ladders at higher cfs. As flows drop and temp increases numbers will jump.

T
Toyracer38
Go get'em Carp. I got my first combo limit of the year today, on the Big C. Hooking a Nook is like winning the lottery right now, but there are a few out there. Not to hijack the thread, but a week ago I caught a buck Chinook and it cut really pale. Have been told it was a Willamette fish. You guys encounter this much up there?

jamisonace
jamisonace
6 to 8 out of 100 chinook are white from what I've read. High dollar delicacy. Not saying that's what you got but something to consider.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/20/dining/the-catch-of-the-moment-white-salmon.html?pagewanted=all

Toyracer38 said:
Go get'em Carp. I got my first combo limit of the year today, on the Big C. Hooking a Nook is like winning the lottery right now, but there are a few out there. Not to hijack the thread, but a week ago I caught a buck Chinook and it cut really pale. Have been told it was a Willamette fish. You guys encounter this much up there?

M
Modest_Man
These aren't the fabled white chinook. These are fish whose diet has changed in the ocean (El Nino?). They're consuming less krill so the flesh is not as red. They will taste just the same, it's just the flesh is lacking astaxanthin.

The true white chinook are genetically unable to store astaxanthin so the flesh is WHITE, and tend to be caught further north.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Not sure how you can say definitively that they're not. I've talked to commercial fisherman out of Port Orford that catch them at the mouth of the Elk.

D
DrTheopolis
Toyracer38 said:
I got my first combo limit of the year today, on the Big C.

Summer or winter steel?

Hooking a Nook is like winning the lottery right now, but there are a few out there.

Just got texted a pic of one a few minutes ago. Certainly not impossible, but people have to work for them.

T
Toyracer38
I honestly don't know how to tell the difference as far as bucks, but it was a dime bright fish. Saw 3 Chinooks hooked today. Only one landed. Sealion got the other two. Yes they are starting to show, but not in any great numbers yet. But soon. Pic is from yesterday.

T
Toyracer38
As far as the White Chinook goes, I smoked it, so probably not the best way to compare to a regular Nook. The meat definitely had a different texture. The article jamisonace posted, described the flesh as buttery, which I would say this had. Also the taste just seemed a little off. Milder maybe? Wasn't a fan. The latest victim hits the smoker tomorrow. :)

D
DrTheopolis
Toyracer38 said:
I honestly don't know how to tell the difference as far as bucks

A summer this time of year would have very little in the way of milt. A winter would likely have pretty developed milt.

E
eugene1
Toyracer38 said:
I honestly don't know how to tell the difference as far as bucks, but it was a dime bright fish. Saw 3 Chinooks hooked today. Only one landed. Sealion got the other two. Yes they are starting to show, but not in any great numbers yet. But soon. Pic is from yesterday.

Good combo there! Congrats!! :thumb: