Summer steelhead and a couple pesky chinook

C
ChezJfrey
Fished for a few hours after work today and at the end of the day, nabbed a summer on a 1/3 oz. brass/black spoon swinging through a tailout:

2013-08-21_19-51-47_310.jpg

Around 6 o'clock, I had a 'nook hit and with 10 lb. test, it was turning into a real chore...after about 8 minutes, it broke the knot because I was being a bit aggressive, applying a little extra finger drag on the spool because I was becoming impatient and didn't really care if I landed it.

Why? Because about a week earlier, I had a chinook grab my spoon in exactly the same hold. I wrestled with it for 10 minutes, wading and hopping rocks, trying to get some leverage but the fish was too strong and too big to maneuver well. I eventually took a tumble and ended up with a couple gallons of water in my waders, a drowned phone, a wet lighter and dry cigs (figure that out), and a dislocated shoulder.

I couldn't move my left arm and debated about what to do? Break OFF and somehow make my way to medical? The fish took this debate time to hunker down and I decided, F it! Put the rod between my legs so the fish wouldn't run OFF with it and tried all kinds of gyrations with my good arm to no avail...hmmm? Laced my fingers together in front of me and turned my palms out, raising my hands above my head...clunk! Shoulder popped back into place. Hurt like a mother still, but I could at least move it. Stumbled around for another 10 minutes and after a 20 minute fiasco, I finally held a 15-17 lb. native 'nook in my hand under the water. No wonder it was such a chore with my measly 10 lb. leader. I removed the hook and boom, fish bolted.

So, I didn't want to spend a bunch of fishing time wrestling with another beast for no good reason and hence the extra bit of applied pressure got my line snapped. Oh well, the summer landed a couple hours later made up for it :)

Oh, I resurrected the phone in the oven and only endured a few days of a sore arm/shoulder ;) Not sure I won that battle as the fish was swimming around while I sat busted up and drenched on the bank after the ordeal, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bass
E
eugene1
Nice report, sounds like it's picking up there?

Hey, at least you're getting into some action, but ya got to pay to play, no pain no gain, etc...

Best,

O
OnTheDrop
Man, Clack still giving up fish? Good job on the fish...Not the injuring. I know how that goes. Slipped disc, Wilson river, Winter steelhead..Needless to say it was icy.

^^Eug- If this is the clack we don't really get a fall run of Chinook. Few natives, but that's bout it. So he must still be tying up with some summer action.

Tight Lines,

T
troutmasta
Gotta love that rocky bank! I dropped my phone in the water trying to take a picture of a crawdad up there a couple weeks back.

I believe there was a thread on catching coastal fall nooks where everyone was talkin about using 10 and 8..... Point and case.

Nice fish. I love the spoons.

Ill be at my usual spot by F.day later. Green rover. Holler if your up there.

-T

bass
bass
Wow, great story. Way to tough it out!

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Ill be at my usual spot by F.day later. Green rover. Holler if your up there.

-T

I've been meaning to drop by and look for you later in the day my last couple times I've been at McIver...I'll see if I can swing it Friday afternoon/evening.

C
ChezJfrey
bass said:
Wow, great story. Way to tough it out!

Thanks...no pansy label for this guy! lol

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
^^Eug- If this is the clack we don't really get a fall run of Chinook. Few natives, but that's bout it. So he must still be tying up with some summer action.

Tight Lines,

Yeah, I notice the same thing last year about this time...fishing for summers and the springers that are still around are much more inclined to hit hardware; they attack nearly everything around this time. Was a bit surprised how much fight the last two had...they were still in good shape.