Summer clamming and algae bloom

Fattie
Fattie
How common is that algae bloom that affects humans that eat clams? Is it something that Oregon monitors and i can check online?
I want to go clamming at the end of this month when I go camping... But i don't want to make my family sick.
Thanks for the help-
Fat

Solution
rogerdodger
yes, there are strict guidelines for the testing and closures (domoic acid, for example, one bad test results in a closure and it then takes 2 consecutive good tests to reopen). I suggest getting e-mail alerts by signing up at the webpage that C_Run posted. they will e-mail you an update whenever there is a change (more closed area or more opened area), ODFW also provides alerts if you sign up for Marine Zone updates. The Oregon Dept. of Agriculture website, if you scroll down, has PDF tables of the actual test results.

sorry I didn't get to reply sooner, Pepper got some 'OFF-leash' time this morning while I was wandering around on a remote beach that we had all to ourselves...one of us is exhausted. (hint: it isn't me)...
Irishrover
Irishrover
C_Run that is a great site. A good clue, is on a minus tide if no one is out there clamming it is most likely closed. The State does monitor and if it looks bad they close it down.

Reactions: Admin and Fattie
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yes, there are strict guidelines for the testing and closures (domoic acid, for example, one bad test results in a closure and it then takes 2 consecutive good tests to reopen). I suggest getting e-mail alerts by signing up at the webpage that C_Run posted. they will e-mail you an update whenever there is a change (more closed area or more opened area), ODFW also provides alerts if you sign up for Marine Zone updates. The Oregon Dept. of Agriculture website, if you scroll down, has PDF tables of the actual test results.

sorry I didn't get to reply sooner, Pepper got some 'OFF-leash' time this morning while I was wandering around on a remote beach that we had all to ourselves...one of us is exhausted. (hint: it isn't me).

3nQdMRD.jpg

Reactions: Fattie and Admin
Solution
Fattie
Fattie
Thanks for the help, i just subscribed!
Fat

Reactions: Admin