Suggestions on Fishing In September

S
silkgato
I need some assistance on "what, when and how" to go about fishing in Oregon this September. I have been traveling to Oregon once or twice in the late Summer/Fall for the last five or six years and have been saying I am going to fish every year. I eat fish about seven days a week and want to fish for something tastey that I can put in the freezer for a bit. I will be in Eugene this year around the 19th of September and want to come in maybe Thursday the 17th, to fish Friday. My initial thoughts are to book a guide trip but I have the following concerns:

- Start and end time on the day of fishing
- What species to target
- How to get the goodies back to L.A. (ice chest on the plane, shipped, etc.)
- Driving distance to and from Eugene

I felt I would come to experienced anglers with these questions and appreciate any feedback I get.

Thanks

Matt

M
meluvtrout
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum. It's a common practise to tell us a bit about yourself in your first post. Species you're targeting, a small story, perhaps some pics of your latest catch.

That being said, September is Coho season. some of the answers to your questions will be here:
Resources: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Fishing regulations:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2009_oregon_sport_fishing_regs.pdf

Information about Willamette Zone:
Recreation Report: Willamette Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Reactions: FishFinger
K
Kodiak
Tough year to pick

Tough year to pick

The chinook fisheries this year are going to be tough. You will only be allowed one a day, and there is no gaurantee on size. If you go farther north around portland there will be plenty of Coho and I'm sure you would be able to get the guys from the boards to take you without paying a guide. The run to the sandy or clackamas will be about 2-21/2 hours. It is looking like they will allow us to keep at least 3 coho/day, and possibly more pending the return numbers. That close to Eugene you will want to do your nook fishing on the Siuslaw, and someone here will be able to recomend a guide for you. The last couple of years the chinook have been moving in later so your time table while traditionally would be correct for bigger bucks (which eat better than hens) may be on the early side and could be a roll of the dice thing.

J
JeannaJigs
The Siuslaw has been hit or miss the last 2 seasons...perhaps this year we might see an improvement, but I doubt it. There are Coho coming into Siltcoos and Tahkenitch, but september is pretty early, they pick up in October--December. The 'slaw is your closest coastal 'nook fishery though. If you want to get into some fall hogs, I'd go with Jeff Jackson as far as guides go, he will get you into fish.

I fish over there all fall and winter, but I'm bank bound.

H
here2fish
sandy or clack for coho. easiest time of the year to catch a salmon.

Q
qwapaw
JeannaJigs, Thaks for the info on the Siuslaw. I am sorry I got your name wrong, I just read a post by Barb, and had her name in this small brain. I aggree early will be fine in Tide Water. Qwa

J
JeannaJigs
qwapaw said:
JeannaJigs, Thaks for the info on the Siuslaw. I am sorry I got your name wrong, I just read a post by Barb, and had her name in this small brain. I aggree early will be fine in Tide Water. Qwa
It's all good, I knew what ya meant :) You're welcome. If I had a boat I'd hit the tide water for sure in September.

S
silkgato
September Info

September Info

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I will be in town in September to work the Utah and Oregon football game and really want to fish. I can fly into Portland if, by some of your suggestions, I would be better off.

I am from Southern California, I own a small boat that I fish local lakes with whenever I have a chance (which hasn't been much lately). I normally fish trout, catfish and creppie but I am eager to fish salmon. I don't have any pictures to post from this computer but will try to get something uploaded in the near future.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and I hope to see some of you on the water.

Take care, happy fishing and be safe.

Matt

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you are looking for meat (fish for the freezer) head down to Warrenton and check out Tackel Time charters. September is prime salmon time down there and you will have a shot at silvers and chinook. Warrenton is just west of Astoria. You won't have to worry about what to use and where to fish. Another option is to head to Newport or Depot Bay and hook up with a charter there. No chinook retention allowed in those ports though. So will you be wearing an black and white striped shirt at the Oregon V Utah game?????????

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Irishrover said:
So will you be wearing an black and white striped shirt at the Oregon V Utah game?????????

If so he should penalize the Ducks for wearing such horrendous uniforms! Diamondplating doesn't belong a football jersery. The wings make me laugh too.:dance: :shock: :clap: :rolleyes:

K
Kodiak
beaverfan said:
If so he should penalize the Ducks for wearing such horrendous uniforms! Diamondplating doesn't belong a football jersery. The wings make me laugh too.:dance: :shock: :clap: :rolleyes:

You know they have a seven/day limit on ducks. Obviously the state of oregon wants them gone!:lol: GO BEAVS!