Suggestions for beginner...

L
Lunker
I just moved here from Arizona and I'm ready to catch some salmon. From what I've been reading now is typically a good time for the silver run. I'm still pretty new to fly fishing. I've had brief experience with fly fishing in Alaska for reds, but that was pretty irrelevant considering it was "battle fishing" techniques. The only equipment I have is an 8weight 9" rod.

Anyways I was wondering if there were any suggestions on where to fish, where to go for gear, and when the run slows down?

kirkster
kirkster
Welcome to Oregon :dance: Im not a fly fisherman but I do see a lot of flyfishing at the sandy fish hatchery (cedar creek) also on the eagle creek around the bonnie lure area down to the mouth of eagle creek where it meets the clackamas. Im sure there are a lot more but thats what I know Fishermans marine supply or wholesale sports woud be a starting place for gear and for the most part the people on the river are the best source of info. Dont be afraid to fire up a conversation with a fellow fly fisher. And just to let you know ahead of time the hood river is a dynamite fly river for summer and winter steelhead there is a fly shop in hoodriver The # is (541)386-6977 and they are super helpful I call and get reports from them all the time for river conditions and what not. but any how good luck and once again welcome to the beaver state.

J
joesnuffy
Welcome to Oregon and OFF. That rod should be fine for now. As you get used to fly fishing over ther you may want to consider getting a Spey Rod for big fish.

The reason is that a lot of the water you fish is too big for a single hander.

M
Markcanby
Get your Flys at WholeSale Fishermans are over priced

F
FishFinger
Welcome to the forum...

Arizona...... Cedar Creek..... Did I speak to you today at the top of the trail?

If so welcome to the forum, if not..lol welcome to the forum; as there are a lot of Arizonians here.....

Your 8 wt is perfect. Agreed you might not get the reach like a spey, but it's just fine if you already have it in hand.

Kaufmanns in Tigard; is a good, but expensive fly fishing outfitter.

Coho season ends Nov 1. All through the month of Oct you have a opportunity to hook up w/ either Silvers or early winter steelhead.

O
osmosis
dont forget about River City fly shop, I love that place! I agree that the 8wt is just fine, I like to coho fish with a 5wt and use a 9wt when the rivers get high (doesn't look like its going to happen this season though).

A
akangler
osmosis said:
dont forget about River City fly shop, I love that place! I agree that the 8wt is just fine, I like to coho fish with a 5wt and use a 9wt when the rivers get high (doesn't look like its going to happen this season though).

I just bought a 5 wt Jim Teeny 10' rod from that fella he seemed like a nice guy and offers some pretty good service.