Suggestions for a 2-3 week trip near Bend or Sunriver or ???

K
kurtataltos
I would like to visit central Oregon and lake fish, catch and release fly fishing only, float tube. Several questions:
- a centrally located hotel recommendation?
- a fly shop recommendation in or somewhat near Bend or ?
- generic locales to fish? I prefer quiet, smaller lakes that I can float tube.

I plan on driving from out-of-state (yes, I am one of "those" people) with a car full of fishing stuff, float tubes, fins, waders, etc, and
no specific requirements on where to be or when. A relaxing 2-3 week meandering visit using a hotel as home base.

Any suggestions on timing, locales, places to avoid crowds, places to stay...

Insights and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Reactions: NKlamerus
W
wils
Sunriver would be a nice "base camp". LaPine would have cheaper hotels and restaurants.
Either would give you easy access to the upper Cascade Lakes, Paulina & East Lakes, lakes around Crescent, drift upper Deschutes or day-trip/overnight trip to lower Deschutes.
Look at a map of the area.
or stay in Bend, do the normal touristy things, and still have access to "all of the above".

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
The crowds will be at the ski lodges. There's lots of snow on the ground. So hopefully you have 4-wheel drive and / or traction devices.

Hit the Deschutes, Metolious, and Crooked Rivers while you're around. For lake fishing I'd suggest Ochoco Reservoir, just 5 miles east of Prineville and NE of Bend. And North of Redmond, on Hwy. 97, is Haystack Rock Reservoir. It's small; but can hold large 'bows.

If you're into my other favorite hobby (vintage home stereo gear and speakers) there's a cool shop in Bend. Just let me know and I'll share the details.

(P.S. I assumed that you were planning a winter trip. However everything still applies...sans 4WD...lol)

Link to our current regs for 2020:

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/20ORFW_LR.pdf

Last edited:
B
BrandonBeach
lodging:
Eagle Crest Condos or Black Bute resort, both very nice
Bend area has many lodging options.

Early may to mid June would be my Choice.

Fly shops:

Fly and Field, Bend
The Flyfishers Place, Sisters

recommend both, have booked out through Fly and Field, with great success.

Rivers:
Deschutes, upper and lower,
Metolious. (Good luck! )
Crooked
Fall
McKenzie, upper portion

Many lakes to choose from, I Have only fished East, Paulina and Crane prairie..
bank fishing can be challenging on most lakes.

Lots of research to do here, fly shops can help there, a phone call to one or two of them could be invaluable.
I would recommend a guided trip for one day at least. May on the Deschutes can be EPIC !

BB

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
4labs
4labs
East lake but they fill fast
Cabins on the shore and a great fly shop. July and Aug. are 100+ fish days
Also Best Western in La Pine is really nice then head to Crane prairie plus great hike in lakes less than 3miles
Diamond is great on the south end in a tube.
Expect 125-175 a night for motels. Restaurants are good but 30+ for a steak in bend area is the norm.
I spent over 250 for 4 of us in Terrabond last month
Might be better into looking at a rental

K
kurtataltos
Great suggestions! Thank you. The trip would likely be in the early summer, mid-spring. As I am "older", I find float tubing safer and more relaxing than rocky climbs or slippery rocks (hence the preference for smaller lakes over streams). And, as with many of you, I prefer quiet and less crowded areas. My Subaru manages to keep me from getting in too much trouble, road wise. Keep those suggestions coming. Thanks again !

R
Rockitout
I wouldn't limit yourself to a single hotel, or a single area, there is a lot of good (Fly) fishing all over central Oregon in spring summer.

Recently the salmonfly hatch is hitting very late April early May on the Deschutes in the Maupin area. The Descutes can be tough to wade, but can be lights out fun if the hatch is hit at the right time. Also, there are a lot of stocked trout pounds that a flyshop can get you access to in that area, on those ponds 16'' fish are standard, with the largest pushing +24''. But, those pay to access.

Fly Shops in Maupin
Dechutes Angler Fly Shop
Deschutes Canyon Canyon

The Bend, Sunriver is the gateway to the Cascade Lakes, those lakes referenced above all work. Hosmer lake is a fly fishing only, lots of big hard to catch fish. Most of the lake is fairly shallow and gin clear, so you see a lot of fish. In general a float tube works everywhere, but you be able to cover a lot more water with a small pontoon, yak, or paddle board on some of the larger lakes. On the cascade lakes - leaches, prince nymphs, hares ears, midge, cronomide, black ants, lots of different caddis, black gnats.

That time of year its going to be busy every where, being able to fish during the week will help.

W
wils
May-June would be best as the lakes start getting drained for the tourists and irrigation at after that.
may/june is spawning time for rainbows, smb, and lmb. research a bit for the types of flies all 3 will take. ;)
due to the draining of Wickiup the past 2 years, the upper Deschutes below Wickiup now has kokanees. There are plenty of spots to put in with your tube. Sunriver to Benham Falls is an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous & lazy drift

Reactions: troutdude
4labs
4labs
As Newfydog shows that book is the Bible to Oregon fishing.
I have The Complete Anglers Guild to Oregon and have used it for 20yrs. Its starting to fall apart.
One more place you should check out is Davis lake, don't know the camp ground but has huge trout and
rumors of huge koks in it. A great place to stay is the Willamette pass Inn and Crescent Creek Cottages.
A warning though the weekend nights the meth heads in La pine are on the prowl at Wickiup and some of the other lakes looking for easy targets.
Chose your camp ground neighbors with caution.
If you need any more info PM me and we could talk
Mark

troutdude
troutdude
Now that I now it'll be a late Spring/early Summer trip...

Diamond Lake is a must! The fish are robust and you'll have fun floating it. Although it is at higher elevation. So check ahead to make sure it isn't iced over.

And near Elk Lake, is Hosmer. Hosmer a tough lake to fish, from what I've heard and read. But if you figure it out--you'll find nice rewards. And Hosmer is fly fishing only, with barbless hooks, and catch and RELEASE for ALL species.

P.S. The "Bible" of angling here is "Fishing in Oregon" by Maddy Diness Sheehan, 11th Edition

N
newfydog
troutdude said:
P.S. The "Bible" of angling here is "Fishing in Oregon" by Maddy Diness Sheehan, 11th Edition

Nah, "the Bible" Shewey, John, "Complete anglers Guide to Oregon" :) Seriously, one of those authors "borrowed" a fair bit from the other. They are so similar you can use the index of one book for the other. Both are massive, impressive efforts. The Gary Lewis book is nice because it is just Central Oregon

Hit Hosmer early or late as the "stand up paddle hatch" will over run it. No Kokes in Davis that I know of but lots of bass.

Troutdude---I never tried Diamond in a float tube as it is a big lake with lots of boats. What part would you suggest trying in a float tube there?

N
newfydog
I saw your post considering Bend as a possible retirement spot.

Rent this place:
https://www.vrbo.com/721995?noDates=true
or this;

https://www.vrbo.com/149780?unitId=149780
The landlords are good friends, the cabin is great, you can walk to town, and have mediocre fishing right outside your door. Plus you'll be just across the river from us. I might have a suggestion or two I wouldn't post.

If you don't like that stay, it isn't your town!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
@newfydog Shewey's "Complete Angler's Guide" FIRST edition was published in 2007.

Diness-Sheehan's "Fishing in Oregon" THIRTEENTH edition was published in 2013. While her 7th edition was published in 1988. Which was DECADES before Shewey's book was even conceived! So who copied who? Just sayin'... (I still have my original 7th edition, plus an autographed promo copy of the 13th).

But yeah...Gary Lewis knows his stuff; and it's more specific to Central Oregon.

Also in my collection are:

A Fisherman's Guide to Central Oregon, by Clain Campagna, 1st ed. 1986
Fishing in Oregon's Cascade Lakes, by Scott Richmond, 1st ed. 1994 (also published by Maddy Diness Sheehan's "Flying Pencil Publications"

They are great books too, if you can find copies.

Last edited:
N
newfydog
troutdude said:
@newfydog Which was DECADES before Shewey's book was even conceived! So who copied who? Just sayin'...

Thanks Troutdude! I knew one of them was a bit of a plagiarist. Shewey has made his version quite famous, but I never knew who came first. Now I know!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. And thanks for understanding. It kind of "sticks in my craw" that Shewey copied my friends work. I just checked Maddy's site and she's been at the publishing helm, of "Fishing in Oregon", for over 34 years. And the book itself has been published for over 50. I'd love to find a 1st edition someday. lol

Reactions: newfydog
4labs
4labs
Those look like great cabins to stay at and pet friendly .
Don't forget Waldo. No motor lake and the clearest water in the state but the mosquitoes are legendary.

troutdude
troutdude
newfydog said:
Troutdude---I never tried Diamond in a float tube as it is a big lake with lots of boats. What part would you suggest trying in a float tube there?

I'm not sure I would call Diamond a big lake. But maybe so; it's 2800 acres in size. Bigger than many others for sure.

But I'd suggest tubing the north shore from the Lake Creek Outlet, down along the Eastern shoreline to the Dry Creek Inlet. However if the wind is howling, then the shallows of the Southern shore is a much better option for tubing.

4labs
4labs
Late nov watched 2 guys on the south end by the old pizza place slam the trout. Fly fishing sometimes with doubles on.
Met them at the ramp and they showed me what they were using.
Weighted brown leech size 16 and a trailer tiny green thing size 18 on 8lb leader and a indicator
can't find that on this side but I'm sure any fly shop over there has it.
A young guy at Coastal in Roseburg who is really into diamond showed me a 25" tiger he caught. on a 14 green wooly bugger.

Reactions: newfydog
troutdude
troutdude
FYI it's Catch and Release only for Tigers and Browns, at Diamond.

(Not saying that he kept that Tiger...just relaying the reg so, everyone reading this thread understands the law)

Fishsizzle
Fishsizzle
troutdude said:
@newfydog Shewey's "Complete Angler's Guide" FIRST edition was published in 2007.

Diness-Sheehan's "Fishing in Oregon" THIRTEENTH edition was published in 2013. While her 7th edition was published in 1988. Which was DECADES before Shewey's book was even conceived! So who copied who? Just sayin'... (I still have my original 7th edition, plus an autographed promo copy of the 13th).

But yeah...Gary Lewis knows his stuff; and it's more specific to Central Oregon.

Also in my collection are:

A Fisherman's Guide to Central Oregon, by Clain Campagna, 1st ed. 1986
Fishing in Oregon's Cascade Lakes, by Scott Richmond, 1st ed. 1994 (also published by Maddy Diness Sheehan's "Flying Pencil Publications"

They are great books too, if you can find copies.
Not to be late to the party. I spent HOURS pouring over the 7th edition as a kid dreaming of all the MT lakes to fish. Never have gotten around to hitting very many.
I now have the 10th edition. It helps for new waters.

Back to OP.
I’d look at Crane Prairie resort or south twin. Great fly fishing at Davis. Crane and Davis arm of Wickiup. Or get away from crowds at little cultus, little lava. Waldo while pretty isn’t much for fishing for me anyway. You can pretty much have Davis to yourself during the week. Maybe 1-2 people in any of the campgrounds. Crescent Creek is really nice on the cutoff rd if you can hike back out.

Hosmer, Sparks, Devils have been taken over by the plastic crowd. I’ve seen Hosmer where you would think you could walk across is stepping on yaks. All are just so close to Bend. Cars are lined up along the Hwy for miles it seems.