Success!

J
JSpencer
Got out on the Wilson early today and had some success for once! Got into some natives and released all 4 unharmed! Unfortunately i left my camera at home and had my phone stashed in my console so i dont have pics for you all :(

Sorry Beaverfan!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good job man way to get into some fish.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Congrats! 4 nates...nice haul. I didn't see anyone catching anything on the lower river today.

Here's a few questions about the Wilson:
Are most of the steelhead above mile marker 15 or so natives? The hatchery release is in the lower river, isn't it? Do most of the hatchery steelies hang around the hatchery or lower in the river?

The only hatchery fish i've caught was at mile marker 5. Everything I've seen in the upper river has been a nate.

Y
youngbuck307
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Congrats! 4 nates...nice haul. I didn't see anyone catching anything on the lower river today.

Are most of the steelhead above mile marker 15 or so natives? The hatchery release is in the lower river, isn't it? Do most of the hatchery steelies hang around the hatchery or lower in the river?

The only hatchery fish i've caught was at mile marker 5. Everything I've seen in the upper river has been a nate.

I dont know about the winters but i know the summers will go almost all the way up to the dead line.

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

C
Cohosanders
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:

Are most of the steelhead above mile marker 15 or so natives? The hatchery release is in the lower river, isn't it? Do most of the hatchery steelies hang around the hatchery or lower in the
river?

All the fish I have caught have been in the same spot Around mm20 and in December I caught 2 hatchery fish and this month I caught 2 natives(SOOOOOOOOOOO CHROME)

Last edited:
J
JSpencer
As far as i know there isn't any hatchery release on the Wilson, but there is on a river close to it..Kilchis or Nehalem i think. The first 2 of the day i caught low on the river, first at Windy Rock (that's what ive been told it's called, it's the hole below the RV park), and the second at the burned down guide shop hole. The third i caught right underneath Jones Creek Bridge and the 4th one i caught at the footbridge. The 2 at the lower end were nice and chrome, the 2 up higher were pretty dark.

B
beaverfan
Awesome way to go! I wish I coulda gone with you sounds like an awesome day.

F
fishwithdynamite
4 nates, now that is success!

J
JSpencer
Sorry again Beaverfan, had i waited for ya i wouldnt have went just because i would have talked myself out of it and into doing something else. Oh and i had caught all 4 by about 9 anyway, spent a few hours hoping to get a keeper after but the bite was off and my knee started acting up so i called it around noon. I bet if it wasn't for my knee being the way it is i could have hit some more holes that may have produced a hatchery fish.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
It's all good, I'll get out with ya next time! Oh there is a hatchery run on the Wilson, they release fish at all the boat launches and up the South Fork I believe.

J
JeannaJigs
Somehow I missed this post before, great job on puttin' the hurt on (without hurting) the nates!

A
Anyfishisfine
That's a good day of fishing!