Sturgeon weather

A
Airs98
Hey!

I was wondering if there is an agreement among expert sturgeon anglers about best fishing weather conditions for sturgeon. I heard that the west wind and incoming tide is usually good for sturgeon bite, but I have had days w/o a nibble on those "good" days, and an occasional great bite during not so good blistery east wind days. Do these things really matter?

O
osmosis
I don't watch the winds, just the tides.
I've done very well in the pouring rain.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dino's of the deep...

Dino's of the deep...

Welcome to the best fishing forum the West Coast has to OFFer! We have numerous fisher folk up your way who go after the dinosaurs of the deep. If you have time, check out the archives or use the search box at the top of the page. There is a wealth of information free for the taking. You are in good hands when it comes to asking questions and finding answers. Do you go after anything else? Good luck whatever you're after and,again,welcome.
Barb

F
Fishtopher
Airs98 said:
Hey!

I was wondering if there is an agreement among expert sturgeon anglers about best fishing weather conditions for sturgeon. I heard that the west wind and incoming tide is usually good for sturgeon bite, but I have had days w/o a nibble on those "good" days, and an occasional great bite during not so good blistery east wind days. Do these things really matter?

Hey right back, and welcome to OFF!

I have had my best sturgeon fishing on a day when it was rainin sideways, in a 30mph east wind gusting to 60 just off the old Corbett boat ramp...I believe my name, fish length(s), and date carved in the metal guard rail...the bottle of Wild Turkey shared with good friends that day helps me remember;):D:lol:...doubt we would have fished that day without the whiskey though...:lol:
In all seriousness, :think: I'd be more concerned about the tide...

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form an expert sturgeon catcher. However the requirment was "expert sturgeon angler". And I angle the hell outt'a 'em!!

Troutski
Troutski
Largest Keeper...

Largest Keeper...

I caught my largest keeper fish in the Columbia during sideways rain and blowing wind. My largest fish (10'+) on a beautiful cloudless day on the Umpqua river... I agree tides are the key factor in a successful Sturgeon trip. Just my opinion.....

Chuck

F
FishKiller23
A little bit of a old post but figured it might help others wondering the same thing. Ive fished a lot of Sturgeon the last few years and I find fishing the out going tide is best sends your scent down stream :p. Also on the Willamette when the water is stirred up and all mud color is a good time. Sturgeon fishing has been getting better but when the water is cold they arent very active.

H
halibuthitman
hunting sturg

hunting sturg

Myself I use the tide to tell me were to fish, not when. During the incoming tide I fish deep edges or deep structure of any kind above a sandy flats, during the slack I run the bottom in shallow sandy feeding areas and look for BIG fish feeding and target them, or sometimes I will just drift so my boat doest spin.. caught my two biggest fish that way. on an outgoing I sit at the front and of the deep behind good feeding area, sliping back 20 ft at a time every 20 minutes until I hit bigger fish or at the least some action. MOST important, you hunt keeper sturg, 10 ft can make the difference between a boom day or a bust so you MUST keep moving to get into a hot spot . If the fish are feeding light and hard to feel, change your bait, you probably are not using what the current heavy feed the fish are on, if the smelt are in they will barely nibble herring or squid. good fishing

"most my money I spent on beer, boats and trucks... the rest of it I wasted"

F
fishnquest
Sturgeon, its whats for dinner.

Sturgeon, its whats for dinner.

I do a lot of sturgeon fishing in the rivers and sloughs down here. The tide is way more important than the weather. Halibuthitman, you pretty much described what I do here.
We took our daughter and her hubby sturgeon fishing in downtown portland last year with a guide, a really great guide. Devin had never been sturgeon fishing before. We were done before 1 pm...yeah, he's hooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BlackTalon
Sturgeon weather

I agree with most posts here. I think wind has little to do with anything as far as the sturgeon are concerned but does effect the sturgeon fisherperson quite a bit :D. Difficult to stay in one place with the bait on bottom when blowing all over the place. Tides do make a difference as far as boat movement, weight to use and dispersion of scent.

However I am not an expert sturgeon angler. So use it for what it is worth.

Evan

L
luv2fish
thats the way to do it halibuthitman...me and my bud do the same....

rtito
rtito
have there been any sturgeon caught below oregon city falls.lately

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, there are a few stabbed almost every day at the Wall, but it is a gross fishery, and needs revision. But if you poke down to Meldrum Bar, and plunk for gators in the midst of Salmonid plunkers... I guarantee you will get a fish if your bait is right. I have a friend who smokes sturgeys, and he loves disrupting the crowd on the bar while rattlin off a hundred shakers in a day. He says the keepers are few in his little stretch, but he does get a buch of 40-ish inch fish every year. Gator fishin will pick up from where its at shortly. The Willy was at 44.6 today, then dropped to 43.5. Sturgeon don't like downward swings in water temp, but they do like bait! So if its good quality, you can hook 'em all year long.

rtito
rtito
arctic ameboe thanks that was a quick response. i agree the wall is nuts at o/c

J
joemomma
I agree with Halibuthitman, hunt the Keepers down! I usually fish the outgoing tide too! Move and move and move! Change your bait if it isn't working, anchovies were working for me last thursday, then it was smelt for the secong half of the day!

P
panderson01
ArcticAmoeba said:
But if you poke down to Meldrum Bar, and plunk for gators in the midst of Salmonid plunkers... I guarantee you will get a fish if your bait is right. He says the keepers are few in his .

Are you talking about banking or boating and anchoring in the swirl out there?

Thanks, Paul

T
Troutier Bassier
I Find that the Perfect place for Catching Sturgeon is Right Behined the Outlets of Rivers.
For Instance, Where I caught my 80" was right in the hole behined Sandy.

And the best conditions are Rainy and Cloudy Weather.