Sturgeon regulations for catch & release

I
igquick
So I was studying up on my Sturgeon Regulations for Catch & Release Sturgeon because I really miss fighting fish as large as me; and what I was getting at from the Regulations is that I can Catch & Release Sturgeon on the Willamette River in Downtown Portland, and on the Columbia River I could Catch & Release Sturgeon basically between the I-5 Bridge to Rooster Rock (but to be exact, between Marker 82 on the Oregon side to Fir Point on the Washington side). ALL BANK FISHING. Just wondering if this is true, and if someone can help me out.

I looked this up in the Columbia Zone of the reg book, and the Willamette River on the Willamette zone.

Tight Lines and Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishOn420
igquick said:
So I was studying up on my Sturgeon Regulations for Catch & Release Sturgeon because I really miss fighting fish as large as me; and what I was getting at from the Regulations is that I can Catch & Release Sturgeon on the Willamette River in Downtown Portland, and on the Columbia River I could Catch & Release Sturgeon basically between the I-5 Bridge to Rooster Rock (but to be exact, between Marker 82 on the Oregon side to Fir Point on the Washington side). ALL BANK FISHING. Just wondering if this is true, and if someone can help me out.

I looked this up in the Columbia Zone of the reg book, and the Willamette River on the Willamette zone.

Tight Lines and Thank You

from my understanding you are exactly correct. The Colombia might produce better for you than downtown. I have been fishing for sturgeon downtown Portland with not very good results. It is especially bad during the mornings. Last Monday I went out from 8am-1pm without so much as a nibble. Crawdads got most of my bait too. But if you have the gear to fish the Colombia I would give it a shot. The current is very strong so you will probably have to use 8-10oz of weight. The water is about 70 degree or more in the willy right now but there are a few deep holes there. Best of luck and looking forward to your report.

D
DrTheopolis
Not exactly sure what you're asking, Iggy.

You can C&R sturgeon anywhere on the Columbia, from my understanding, bank or boat.

You can C&R sturgeon on the Willamette, from the RR bridge (Lake O-Milwaukee) to the mouth, and anywhere above the Falls (you can keep them above the Falls).

Multnomah Channel and the Gilbert River is considered part of the Lower Willamette. You can C&R there, too.

bass
bass
DrTheopolis said:
Not exactly sure what you're asking, Iggy.

You can C&R sturgeon anywhere on the Columbia, from my understanding, bank or boat.

You can C&R sturgeon on the Willamette, from the RR bridge (Lake O-Milwaukee) to the mouth, and anywhere above the Falls (you can keep them above the Falls).

Multnomah Channel and the Gilbert River is considered part of the Lower Willamette. You can C&R there, too.

Perfect answer.

I
igquick
Thanks guys for the answers I appreciate it!