Sturgeon moving up?

T
Tonymyrs
Anybody know about when the sturgeon will start moving up the willamatte from the Columbia?

B
Big3d
There are enough resudent sturgeon that you can fish anytime with reasonable success. Not sure when the run relly heats up but I know they have spawned already this year, hope someone can add and help you out.

bass
bass
I do not fish in the Willamette in the summer any more since I usually am fishing Hagg with my son while the weather is decent but I agree with Big3d. I looked through my old reports and I used to catch sturgeon straight through the summer. The water temp gauge in the lower Willamette is reporting in at 68 degrees right now which is plenty cool enough for good sturgeon fishing. I am not exactly sure when the number of fish in the Willamette starts to increase, but with the amount of cool rain we are supposed to get this week I would guess that would bring some fish up the river.

Best of luck!

B
BaldTexan
I would think there are always sturgeon up by the falls. Very deep area and always current. Go try off of West Linn dock. I'd bet there's some biters there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
cdumitru78
I saw some caught last week at the west linn docks. Got a few good bites but only fished for an hour. Careful there though, you will lose hooks and led.

B
Big3d
Little hint to sturgeon fishers. Hit up the Barview Jetty store for Lead and bait whenever you pass through there. Big ol squid are great and they usually have them on hand.

B
BaldTexan
I have a handful of rusty railroad spikes I'll be using and may try some wrapped stones with lighter leader at West Linn. I always lose 3 or 4 sinkers each time there. I've caught many oversize sturgeon there on half a herring or left over sand shrimp sticky string bunched onto a hook. I seem to get quicker, more committed bites with smaller baits. I did use squid once, but a pack of herring cut in half is 24 baits for $6. Cheap fun

T
Tonymyrs
They Are definitely moving back up, caught 4 in an hour both sunday and monday

B
Big3d
I like herring too, just mentioned squid cuz Barview usually has the best squid. At west linn, if you can cast into the current across the way, you will usually have a fish before it hits bottom, if not shoot just past the first seam, and dont screw with it or you lose the rig. So much of my gear lives there.

T
Tonymyrs
I caught 4 on herring and 4 on squid. It's a tie

B
BaldTexan
I've caught them at West Linn on whatever leftover bait I have. Not picky biters there. Typically herring or sand shrimp. I also have left a bit of gear out there. Very snaggy and the oversize fish have a knack for wrapping you around a cable or snag. Bring extra weights and hooks :)

C
cdumitru78
Did you fish any specific tide? Also what weight were you using, feels like it's tough to stay out there in the middle.

B
BaldTexan
Tide has never seemed to make any difference in that area. it's about 90 ft. deep there. I typically use 6 to 8 oz. on a slider with 20 lb. dropper line and 65 lb. braid mainline with the 7/0 braided leader sturgeon hooks. Cast to the current seam upstream a bit. Any weight less than that carries down the current quite a ways. Most times, like Big3D said, by the time it hits bottom, there is already a fish biting, and don't move your setup unless setting the hook or reeling in fast and with the rod tip straight up to avoid the snags.

Sometimes you can get them on the shelf right in front of the dock in about 15 to 20 ft. deep there. You can get away with 4 oz. right there but there is still a pretty strong eddy current right in front of the dock.

B
Big3d
Oh yeah, in high raging waters 6 ft out will do the trick. I use 6 oz mostly but in the winter the 8 oz weights can be a bare minimum.