Sturgeon Fishing

S

s10swany

Previously posted this about Salmon fishing and I was fortunate enough to get some excellent responses so here goes sturgeon fishing.

Looking to do some sturgeon fishing out of a boat later this year on the Columbia either near near Astoria, and I am curious on what to use. How should I rig up my pole and what sorts of bait should I use? What pound test for the main line and for the leader?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

H

Herefishyfishy

I use 80# braided for the mainline, put a brass weight slider on the mainline, large swivel, 80# sturgeon leader with a 2/0 BARBLESS hook, and depending on current 8-20 oz pyramid sinker. For bait: whole smelt, rollmop and a worm, squid, sandshrimp. I started using smellyjelly sturgeon feast the last few times out, it smells just gut wrenching nasty but I can say from experience the stuff works!

F

fish4life

If you dont have a sturgeon rod you can also use a heavy salmon rod, I would use a minumum of 30# test mono. If you are after keepers that is. If you end up hooking an oversize on that rig you might want to break him off. I ussually use 5/0 barbless hook with dacron for leader.

G

GerbilManBoa

I use 80# braided for the mainline, put a brass weight slider on the mainline, large swivel, 80# sturgeon leader with a 2/0 BARBLESS hook, and depending on current 8-20 oz pyramid sinker. For bait: whole smelt, rollmop and a worm, squid, sandshrimp. I started using smellyjelly sturgeon feast the last few times out, it smells just gut wrenching nasty but I can say from experience the stuff works!

I completely agree with using smelt or squid for bait. Make sure you buy REAL smelt & squid. As you mostly likely know, they are sold at most bait shops. I'd also try herring. Squid works best for me.

M

muskieguide

Ive spent my whole life fishin the WA side of that area. PM me and I'll tell you where to go. We destroy keepers in 6-10 feet of water with 15-25 lb mono and 3-8 oz of weight. Smelt clam necks squid herring anchovies and sand shrimp all work there

G

GerbilManBoa

Ive spent my whole life fishin the WA side of that area. PM me and I'll tell you where to go. We destroy keepers in 6-10 feet of water with 15-25 lb mono and 3-8 oz of weight. Smelt clam necks squid herring anchovies and sand shrimp all work there
:clap: