Sturgeon fishing of bank. Bonn to Mcnary dam.

R
ready2fish
Thank you in advance for your advice.

I just moved from Richmond VA to Pac NW and I am looking forward to catching sturgeon of bank in columbia rvr. I will be fishing for both keepers and C&R oversize. I spent few weeks driving around stores hoping to pick up a new set up. there are so many choices. :shock: so here is my question: what is your recomendation on;
Rod - under $100
Reel - under $70

(my wife would be very happy if I spent as little as possible on fishing)

How long should the rod be? How many # (20-40?).

Here is what I found that I like so far: Lamiglas 11.5 foot, #40 med action rod for $120 and reel Penn 321 GT2 for $80.000

Please let me know what your advice on rod reel is and also what you thing of my picks.

Thank you.

S
steelheader19
bonnaville dam is a great spot
a lamiglas 11.5 will work great and so is the pen 321 GT2
i like to use herring with scent and a 7/0 hook
i dont know if its open for keepers so far from bonny to mcnary

steelheader19

D
Drew9870
Shakespeare Power Rod 12ft - $30

Quantum Optix (giant, 200+yds / 25lb mono) - $30

I know people use the Power Rod for Goliath size Catfish, so it should do for Sturgeon, but you could still find a better combo for your budget.

Last edited:
R
ready2fish
Drew9870 said:
Shakespeare Power Rod 12ft - $30

Quantum Optix (giant, 200+yds / 25lb mono) - $30

I know people use the Power Rod for Goliath size Catfish, so it should do for Sturgeon, but you could still find a better combo for your budget.

Great info.

What would you recomend for my budget. Rod& reel total of $200.00?

Thanks again.

M
muskieguide
12' ugly stik and penn 309 310 or 320/321 reel. that combo would work great and keep you in the price range.

B
beaverfan
I would spend a bit more than 30 dollars on a Sturgeon rod. I'd get the 12' Ugly Stick recommended above. A cheap rod like that typically isn't gonna be able to handle much more than a 4ft fish especially from shore. I would also go higher than 25lb line, Sturgeon have plates along there sides and back that are razor sharp and they like to roll in your line so using bigger line is imperative.

R
ready2fish
Thank you guys.

I just piked up Penn 320 gt2.

I looked at Ugly Stick, but it seems to be a bit too heavy compare to just about everything else.

I am still not sure what I will go with.

B
beaverfan
If you want to land an oversize fish from shore and do it without over stressing the fish you will need a very heavy rod. These are incredibly powerful fish the last thing you want to do is be under powered. The Lami you originally mentioned is a great rod too but I wouldn't feel comfortable hucking up to 16oz of lead as far as I can with that rod.

R
ready2fish
Ok,

Here is what I think I will be looking for in the bank rod.

12' - 13'
20-50# line
8-12 oz lure
Med action

any comments? suggestions?

M
muskieguide
you got the right idea, but you'll want a heavy action rod

R
ready2fish
Thank you ALL.

T
thebigdog00s
Get a heavier rod than you think you'll need, especially from the bank. There's few things worse than being undersized on an oversize fish. It taxes the fish, it taxes your gear, and it taxes you. I fish the Lami you were talking about with a Penn 320 from my boat. Haven't had any isssues yet... Tight lines and dry feet!.