Sturgeon fishing has been outstanding

bass
bass
I use breathable waders (my present pair are Hodgman but I have a Costco pair in waiting). My present dry top is a Stohlquist brand, but brand is not a big deal. I have the one I do now because it was on closeout at Austin Kayak website for $119 (reg $329). Dry tops are expensive, but if you hunt around you can find a good deal. I prefer the tops with latex wrist gaskets and a neoprene neck gasket. If you are in Portland you can check out the selection at Next Adventure. They also have a used rack that often has some good deals.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
EOBOY said:
Here is the Fishwhisperer

Probably violating Oregon law (removing a likely oversized fish from the water).

EOBOY
EOBOY
I'll pass the word. I don't want to cause him problems.

bass
bass
DrTheopolis said:
Probably violating Oregon law (removing a likely oversized fish from the water).

I just assumed that was a beautiful 53.9" fish :) Seriously though, I think that fish is well within the slot.

jhop111
jhop111
Agreed! Looks like a keeper.
This thread reminds me of a steelhead thread, which in turn re-reminds me why this place is dead. Bass, glad you have stuck around here and give out great reports.
Now back to the topic of toons/small craft and sturgeon:thumb:

bass
bass
jhop111 said:
This thread reminds me of a steelhead thread, which in turn re-reminds me why this place is dead. Bass, glad you have stuck around here and give out great reports.

Well the whole reason I like fishing out of a small craft is that it makes all my fish look bigger :)

EOBOY
EOBOY
jhop111 said:
I agree jhop I sent the pictures because of the Toons,it seemed to go sideways from there

bass
bass
EOBOY said:
I agree jhop I sent the pictures because of the Toons,it seemed to go sideways from there

Clearly a trouble maker :D

EOBOY
EOBOY
Yeah seems to be an inadvertent personality flaw

jhop111
jhop111
I was hoping to do a local trip today. However work cancelled my plans. I should get ahold of you sometime and trade you a seat in the boat for some river guidance. Since I dont have a toon or yak.

jhop111
jhop111
EOBOY said:

Thank goodness 1nutinthewater didn't get his mom involved again.

EOBOY
EOBOY
jhop111 said:
I was hoping to do a local trip today. However work cancelled my plans. I should get ahold of you sometime and trade you a seat in the boat for some river guidance. Since I dont have a toon or yak.
What river Monroe is way south of Hillsboro. I have two toons but one is a Bi-Mart one. But I don't plan on using a toon for a few months.....LOL. There are some good rivers around you I know nothing about but have seen them.

F
FISHKIM
Nice fish/report. I've never fished, or launched a boat out of Swan Island. Have you seen much motor boat traffic? I thought I would wait until the water level dropped & cleared up a bit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while. Getting impatient to chase some sturgeon:).

bass
bass
FISHKIM said:
Nice fish/report. I've never fished, or launched a boat out of Swan Island. Have you seen much motor boat traffic? I thought I would wait until the water level dropped & cleared up a bit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while. Getting impatient to chase some sturgeon:).

Sturgeon fishing is really good in high, muddy water. These conditions are great for sturgeon fishing. I caught 25 yesterday (Sunday) at Swan Island. I will write a full report later.

This time of year the launch is not too busy (probably busy during springer season). On Sundays there is usually little to no commercial activity in the harbor. I have only been there a few times during the week and each time there was a fair bit of coming and going of tugs. However, a bunch of the huge ships that were tied up left over the last 4 weeks (since my last trip). Seems like it might not be too busy in there for a while.

Out in the river proper there is often fairly steady activity (more so on nice days) of large boats, but you will probably only see a large wake every half hour to an hour. Not sure what type of craft you would be launching but nothing to be feared in a SOT kayak.

F
FISHKIM
Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for the tugs/commercial traffic:).