Sturgeon fishing between Eugene & Corvallis:

C
clint14ufford
Any advice as far as where to begin searching for Sturgeon between Eugene and Corvallis?
I'm considering Irish bend ...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
O
Orgwayne
Clint , if you go to Irish Bend , go right from parking lot , go to where the river makes a hard left turn, and your there , have even seen a couple jump myself ! Have not tried getting one , Good Luck
Wayne

E
espencer757
My understanding, the very best spot is where the Long Tom enters the Willamette. I have never tried, and I am told you need a boat. I was also told that they are big.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

C
clint14ufford
Thanks guys! I did check out the small railroad bridge along the Long Tom right by where it dumps into the Willamette, no bites.
Yes, it looks like youd need a boat there.
I also went to Irish Bend, awesome place. Had a few bites, not sure of what though. Didn't have a lot of time.

C
clint14ufford
Also, where is the closest boat launch?

C
clint14ufford
Thanks. Yeah squid and anchovies work good. I run 80 test, to include my leader, and a huge weight on a slider, 7ot barbless hook. Their fighters.

C
clint14ufford
13124589_10207774907722042_6349551856257250538_n.jpg13164466_10207784813049669_2105768584567167733_n.jpg

K
Kardoctor
Wow I want one but long drive but I just might have to make the drive hope from the best
Road trip with fishing buddy's

E
espencer757
Hey Kardoctor, I caught my biggest sturgeon in Oregon city. 11' 6". I caught the most sturgeon in one day at St. John's (33 myself, 92 for the boat). So, I see no reason for a trip down here.

K
Kardoctor
espencer757 said:
Hey Kardoctor, I caught my biggest sturgeon in Oregon city. 11' 6". I caught the most sturgeon in one day at St. John's (33 myself, 92 for the boat). So, I see no reason for a trip down here.

Can't keep them here just look but as I read from bridge at hwy 20 and 99 you can keep them is that right ???

E
espencer757
True, but IMO, catching them is the majority of the fun.

C
clint14ufford
The picture is on the Columbia right by the mouth of the Willamette ..
Retention is allowed between Corvallis and Albany ...

bass
bass
Retention of sturgeon is allowed from Willamette Falls up to the Hwy 99 Bridge:

Willamette Falls upstream to Hwy 20 Bridge in Albany
• Open for hatchery Chinook, coho, and hatchery steelhead all year.
• Open for white sturgeon 1 per day and 2 per year, 38 inch minimum and 54 inch maximum fork length.
• Use of bait allowed.

Hwy 20 Bridge upstream to Hwy 99 Bridge and tributaries
• Open all year, 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Open for white sturgeon 1 per day and 2 per year, 38 inch minimum and 54 inch maximum fork length.

From the above though it does not look like bait is allowed to be used between Hwy 20 and Hwy 99.

K
Kardoctor
sound like time to get the new boat out see what I can hook up

E
espencer757
Sounds like a plan. I have found the hardest part fishing the Willamette River for sturgeon is trying to keep you line clean. But there are some good fish in there.

E
espencer757
They are a lot less numerous than the lower Willamette, so getting one on the line takes a lot of patients. I have never fished the Willamette below the falls that I did not catch at least 1 and have many more bites. I've had more days of not getting a bite then i can count on the upper. But then having a boat with a finder is key, I am sure.