Sturgeon bank fishing spots?

S
SturgeonSurgeon
So I want to know where are some good spots to fish Columbia River for sturgeon on the bank/shore? I usually fish on the Court house docks in St. Helen's and Prescott beach but would like to know of any better spots. Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you.

S
steelheader19
well you can try bonnaville dam near tanner creek...
:)

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Yeah I was looking for more local Bonneville is about 2-3 hrs away from me....thank you for your reply.

B
BearlyAwake
Surgeon,
I know a spot but not sure if you can get to it? At the end of downtown St Helens is the old Boise veneer plant (Right past the Dockside Reataraunt. The shore line across from it is mainly rock, but it sits right at the junction of the Columbia and the Multnomah Channel where there is a "Fishing Deadline" sign posted on a column there. Prime spot. You will see boats anchored there fishing mainly with squid for bait (I have had the best success using the fresh squid from Red Apple with a dash of herring scent added). If you can walk the shoreline down to that spot, its is a great place to catch them. If you can't, then best of luck finding a spot you can...:) Hope others can help
Go get them!
Mac

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Yeah I can't think of a way to walk down there but thanks for the advice. I just caught a keeper of the docks in St. Helens it measured 38 1/2" and she was a fat one to. I have been useing the smelt from red apple. The squid I tried once this year but they were a little to small for me. Thanks agian for the advice.

S
Sasquatch
I know a hell of a good spot on sauvie on the gilbert.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Well you will have to give me some directions......

S
Sasquatch
from the boat launch you walk down the bank through the cow pasture(don't mind the cows).
the cow pasture is past the hunting season sign.
you will know you're going the right way if you struggle through the mud.
once you're out of the mud you will have access to the other part of the bank.go past the black berry bunches and that's where the spot is.
some things to look for are the farm house and a small pond in the middle of the larger pasture fed by the river.
you should have a gravel road in view of where you're at that leads to the house.

Last edited:
S
SturgeonSurgeon
And this is not private property...?????

S
Sasquatch
Nope.
I asked someone who was there on the road and they said that it wasn't.

R
Roolinghills
Kelly Point park in Portland isn't too far, a bit farther than Sauvie's, but I've heard it's a great spot for sturgeon. I don't fish for them, but I've been told that the best bank spot in that area is Kelly Point, casting the Willamette side where it meets the Columbia. At the same time, good luck fishing any spot at Kelly Point or Sauvie's with the water so high..

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Yeah I know its high......thanks