Sturgeon advice for a cluelees angler

T
Thuggin4Life
Want to try some sturgeon angling from my boat here soon ans don't have a clue what to do. Barbless hooks but what for bait? 2 hooks or 1? was thinking portland area but not to sure about the regs since it seems like they change all the time and open and close a lot. want to get into a keeper and be able to keep it. Also if i'm not in a hog line do you really need to run the anchor to bouy to boat set up i see up there? Also how much anchor line should i be taking with me? what size test? so basically tell me how and where to do it and what to do it with. thanks

T
The Nothing
I'll shoot you a PM...

F
fish4life
the lower willamette is closed until January. If you want to go before then you will have to fish above the falls. As far as gear I would use a rod rated for 30# or greater with 30# line or heavier. A heavy salmon rod will work. You can only use one single barbless hook. I use 80-120# dacron for leader and 5/0 hooks. put a sinker slider on your mainline, a plastic bead, then a barrel swivel. Then attach your leader to the barrel swivel. The length of leader will be determined by the bait you are using longer for squid and smelt and shorter for sandshrimp and rollmop. For squid and smelt you will put hook though head and half hich up to tail, when using sandshrimp or rollmop you will use bungee thread to keep it on the hook. For most spots you should only need 8-10oz some spots maybe 16oz. I usually always start with squid for bait on the willamette, followed by sandshrimp and worms and smelt. I even got a keeper once on just a big gob of nightcrawlers.
you have to wait for the fish to suck it in before setting the hook. be carefull when picking up rod when you are getting a bite if they feel you they will drop the bait.

S
slimyguts
lot of good spots in portland. Go catch a bunch of shakers, they are a blast. You can figure out a bunch by catchin them. You dont always need a bouy, but you need a ton of anchor rope.

B
beaverfan
Is the Columbia still open for retention? Last I heard it was. As far as the anchor and buoy setup yes you need it. If you hook into an oversized you will need to toss the buoy off and follow the fish. As far as bait I usually have the most luck with pickled baits. (herring/squid/smelt/etc.) As far as rigging I would tell ya but TheNothing already PM'd you and we pretty much use the same rig.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Yes the Columbia River is still open.

T
Thuggin4Life
thanks guys think i am gonna wait until springtime. if i remember there was lots of sturgeon fishing going on after the springer season.

J
JMR
fish4life said:
the lower willamette is closed until January. If you want to go before then you will have to fish above the falls. As far as gear I would use a rod rated for 30# or greater with 30# line or heavier. A heavy salmon rod will work. You can only use one single barbless hook. I use 80-120# dacron for leader and 5/0 hooks. put a sinker slider on your mainline, a plastic bead, then a barrel swivel. Then attach your leader to the barrel swivel. The length of leader will be determined by the bait you are using longer for squid and smelt and shorter for sandshrimp and rollmop. For squid and smelt you will put hook though head and half hich up to tail, when using sandshrimp or rollmop you will use bungee thread to keep it on the hook. For most spots you should only need 8-10oz some spots maybe 16oz. I usually always start with squid for bait on the willamette, followed by sandshrimp and worms and smelt. I even got a keeper once on just a big gob of nightcrawlers.
you have to wait for the fish to suck it in before setting the hook. be carefull when picking up rod when you are getting a bite if they feel you they will drop the bait.

what do you guys recommend for squid? Is the frozen stuff you get at an asian store be better, or is the pickled squid recommended first? Also, what about strips of salmon bellys?
Cheers

F
FishFinger
Thuggin4Life said:
If i'm not in a hog line do you really need to run the anchor to bouy to boat set up i see up there? Also how much anchor line should i be taking with me? what size test? so basically tell me how and where to do it and what to do it with. thanks

14 Feet to 24 Feet Length Overall (LOA) In this vessel size range, 3/8-inch three-strand nylon rope and 3/16-inch chain is suitable. 200' min -300' suggested rope length. 8' of chain between your anchor and rope. It's a 7-1 ratio: rope length to anchoring depth. Yes get a buoy ball, rated to your anchor weight. Don't even think twice about it, consider it part of the anchoring system.

F
fish4life
I ussually just get the ones from fishermans in a cardboard box $3.99 I think says calamari on the box food grade I do believe. I was thinking about calling tony's or albertsons and seeing how much they are a pound or like you said asian fish market as for the pickled ones I havnt used but heard of people doing well with them. They are a little more expensive and I picked up a jar the other day but have yet to try them. If they ever open up the lower willamette I will give em a try and report back. I have never tried salmon bellie strips but would think they would work, maybe for seals too.

P
plumb2fish
Buy the frozen ones(squid) and just put them into pickle brine. as you use them, add more to the brine

H
halibuthitman
I pretty much use herring... but sndsglr has sold me on squid... but the smelly jelly is where its at.. p.m sndslger and offer him $100 for his secret mix... simply shocking..