STUGGLING to find the CRAPPIE

F
FishSlayer420
I have been out a dozen or so times this spring fishing for Crappie only catching 2 or 3 fish a trip. So where can I go to catch a lot of these suckers:think:?

D
Drew9870
Crappie are pretty unpredictable in Oregon (along with most of the fish I guess). We usually go to Prineville Reservoir and hear that the crappie fishing is really good when you find them, but I haven't seen a Crappie caught out of Prineville, but then again I have only fished out of a boat once for bass in there.

Snake River is a 7 - 8 hour drive that is completely worth it, I usually get sick of catching 14 - 18 inch Crappie and switch to Smallmouth fishing, and we usually use bass plugs to catch the 22 inch Channel cats (I haven't caught a catfish in the Snake River using bait), I never had any knowledge for carp back in the days I fished the Snake River, but they are everywhere, including on the bank every 15 feet (which is how I found out what a carp is). I have seen some big Perch come out of the Snake River, one was about 15 inches.

Most of the Crappie I have ever caught were hanging out under little shack boats, and under overhanging trees, usually just under any kind of shade feeding on minnows.

Troutski
Troutski
Lookout Point Res....

Lookout Point Res....

I recommend Lookout Point, this lake has to be one of the best Crappie fisheries in the Willamette Valley hands down. Now keep in mind that fish of all species follow the seasons for spawning, that doesn't mean the calendar seasons it means the weather seasons. This being said the key is water temp, this year is running a bit off the calendar so keep a watch on the water temp and knowing where they like to hang during their spawn and post spawn. I would key on the points adjacent to the inflows of the body of water you target. Points and drop offs tend to hold the post spawn fish and the off colored water in the shallows seem to be a favorite spawning areas in Lookout Point. It does take some locating but when you do I personally believe that the new state record will come out of that water.
When I went past Lookout on Sunday it looks like that res. will come to full pool this year so the opportunities will be in place for a longer season on these wonderful tasting critters. Hills Creek has a very nice population of Crappies but the Algae is already starting to bloom in this lake so I wouldn't recommend angling for them let along eating them. These are the only lakes I target Crappies in our area other than a few private ponds that usually produce do well in mid summer.
Hope this helps, one more thing when and if you choose Lookout Point use the Hampton ramp in the back of the res., not only is it closer to the areas I have explained but you can also target the Chinook in that lake just past the railroad trestle..now these are not only fun to catch but great to put on the BBQ.

Chuck

T
tnffishman
prineville is the place. I caught easily over 200 crappie every day at prineville off the mooring docks. none real big, but one of the old timers caught one that was over 2 pounds probably

T
Troutier Bassier
Drew9870 said:
Crappie are pretty unpredictable in Oregon (along with most of the fish I guess). We usually go to Prineville Reservoir and hear that the crappie fishing is really good when you find them, but I haven't seen a Crappie caught out of Prineville, but then again I have only fished out of a boat once for bass in there.

Snake River is a 7 - 8 hour drive that is completely worth it, I usually get sick of catching 14 - 18 inch Crappie and switch to Smallmouth fishing, and we usually use bass plugs to catch the 22 inch Channel cats (I haven't caught a catfish in the Snake River using bait), I never had any knowledge for carp back in the days I fished the Snake River, but they are everywhere, including on the bank every 15 feet (which is how I found out what a carp is). I have seen some big Perch come out of the Snake River, one was about 15 inches.

Most of the Crappie I have ever caught were hanging out under little shack boats, and under overhanging trees, usually just under any kind of shade feeding on minnows.
i go to snake river every august. and Its awesome there. Fish everywhere. and about the carp thing. there has been getting less and less of them there each year. very starnge. Anyways I caught my first crappie at snake river just where the..... Brownle(???) dam is. I was jigging a small red/white tube for bluegill with some crappie nibbles (KILLER!) and hooked a crappie. Boy was I happy.

S
Stryker
I have been catching 5 to 15 crapping every time I go out for the past month and a half, nothing real big on 10 inch monday night.

F
FishSlayer420
Nice I am gonna be heading out this weekend to get after these buggers!

S
Stryker
Nice where are you going, I am going tonight but dont think I am going to catch much due to the rain dropping the temp.

F
FishSlayer420
Lookout Point Its out of dexter if you now where that is.

O
OnTheFly
FishSlayer420 said:
I have been out a dozen or so times this spring fishing for Crappie only catching 2 or 3 fish a trip. So where can I go to catch a lot of these suckers:think:?

I don't target crappie myself but Pine Hollow Reservoir is full of them. Last year, around this time, I was there pontooning around and found the Mother Load Land of Crappie. If you are standing on the south boat ramp looking out towards the lake, the dam will be on your right. In the shallow water past the dam there lives more crappie than you can shake a rod at. Most of them are about as big as your hand and I'm sure your usual tackle will work. Get there now before the onslaught of ski boats take over on 4th of July week-end.