Stuck workin in Corvallis need to fish!!! Please help with info

S
slimyguts
Hey yall, got to be in Corvallis all next week for work. MUST fish before and after work when the water is so close. Never been there before and have no idea where to go or what to target. I hear there is some good bass fishin, but and salmon left running through there? How about sturgeon? Gonna be fully equiped with gear from bass to salmon to steelhead to sturgeon. And tips on where to go or what to target would be awesome. Due to shorter days, time on the water will be limited so any help to maximise my productivity on the water is appreciated.

Thanks yall,
Slimyguts

F
Finneus Polebender
slimyguts said:
Hey yall, got to be in Corvallis all next week for work. MUST fish before and after work when the water is so close. Never been there before and have no idea where to go or what to target. I hear there is some good bass fishin, but and salmon left running through there? How about sturgeon? Gonna be fully equiped with gear from bass to salmon to steelhead to sturgeon. And tips on where to go or what to target would be awesome. Due to shorter days, time on the water will be limited so any help to maximise my productivity on the water is appreciated.

Thanks yall,
Slimyguts

Hwy 34 pond just out of town has some big bass have heard good reports from those who have fished it! not sure about the Willy river stretches , hear the calapooia holds some great smallies have yet to try it though . Good luck to ya.

M
michigan_transplant
Polebender is right. Head out of town on 34 towards I5. Youll cross over the Calapooia. (only about 5 miles out of town) Park and walk under the bridge. Throw a worm with a split shot 12 inches or so up from the hook and youll get smallies. Not huge but youll get some. I got one on my first cast when i did it.

As far as Salmon go head out of town on 34 towards Waldport. Once you get past 5 rivers (youll see it) its open for fishing for Nooks and Cohos and possibly still some sea run cutts. Its an hour drive though so it might be tough with work and the earlier nights. You could make it work if you bust out of work and drove like a bat out of hell though.

troutdude
troutdude
Warning about the Hwy. 34 pond (between the bridges and Peoria Rd). One side is lined with decades of trash (i.e. a landfill). So, I'd urge caution in terms of eating any bass, crappie or 'gills that come out of there.

You can try for Coho up the South Fork Santiam. Deadine is the Grant St. Bridge in Lebanon. And there are steelies still to be had below the deadline (a couple of hundreds yards downstream from Foster Dam/Res.). But, that's about 1 hour from Corvallis.

This rain may bring some 'Nooks up into the Yaquina River and tribs, along Hwy. 20.

S
slimyguts
Anyone fish the Willie in this area?

troutdude
troutdude
You might PM Anatoliy, as I have seen some posts from him. I think he hits the Willy around Peoria. And that's only about 20 minutes from downtown Cornvalley.

ADVISORY: check the reg's VERY carefully for the Willy. There are several different stretches of the Willy; and they each have their own closures, lure regs, etc etc.

M
michigan_transplant
I always see posts about Irish Bend. Never fished it but its down 99 towards Eugene. If you search here there are posts for it.

S
slimyguts
Thanks for the info. Gonna be in the company truck so anything over about 20 min drive will have to wait till I am in my own truck.