Stripper help please

T
Thuggin4Life
So I have a guy who's late in his years and wants me to take him trolling for strippers. he remembers the lures and has buying a few and even knows a few spots to go on the umpqua and smith launching out of reedsport. the only thing is he can't remember when they would go do it. so my questions is when are they running in the umpqua and smith river? and what is the best way to troll for them during the day?

F
Finneus Polebender
Thuggin4Life said:
So I have a guy who's late in his years and wants me to take him trolling for strippers. he remembers the lures and has buying a few and even knows a few spots to go on the umpqua and smith launching out of reedsport. the only thing is he can't remember when they would go do it. so my questions is when are they running in the umpqua and smith river? and what is the best way to troll for them during the day?
When fishin tidal influenced waters if you see fish movin on top consider 6-7 inch blue back silver 3 treble rebels on a long rod w/spinning set up . years a go would tater the crap out of 5-25 lbers down in cali that way . only seemed to work when they chased baitfish though. Just made long casts with rippin returns and blam they would crush them.

troutdude
troutdude
FYI, Oregon Fishing (Moon Outdoors series) says that Stripers are catch and release only. And it says that "fishing deadlines exist all over the river". So, it would be a good idea to read the reg's carefully. Wouldn't want to see you guys get any tickets.

According to that same book, stripers can be caught in the spring in the Smith.

According to Fishing in Oregon, "in March, April, and May Striped Bass are upstream in Tidewater, where anglers take them on trolled plugs and a variety of baits including herring, anchovies and sea and mud worms". Also, "stripers return to the bay in late Spring, summer and fall to feed on marine fish, then return to the river in September and October when the best catches are made".

That book also says that there is a good shad run in May. So, maybe pulling shad-colored plugs is a good idea.

BTW, in the mid-70's one of my Uncle's bagged a 42-pounder. It made my cousin's 17 incher look like a midget! LOL

Good luck bro.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That does it!!!

That does it!!!

Okay,you finally crossed the line,Thuggin! :rolleyes: I can't take it any more!! :wall: You really need to turn on the spell check feature or you will continue to make me crazy... :doh: If you want to take your older friend "trolling for strippers" you will want to make sure you have plenty of $5 $10 and $20 bills in your pockets. I understand strip clubs are rather costly...if you know what I mean. :whistle: :redface: If,however,you intend to take him FISHING FOR STRIPERS follow the advice given in the two posts preceding this one.
Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue: :tongue:

troutdude
troutdude
ROTFL!!! :lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I was gonna write something like that too Barb! I was just sitting here waiting for someone that would! LOL

P.S. If he really needs help "Trolling for strippers" maybe someone out there can give him some pointers!

<sorry...couldn't resist>

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry. thanks for the advice. seems like you just troll plugs and such that imitate bait fish in the spring so its kinda the end of the season to go down to reedsport.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey no biggie man...just ribbin' ya a bit.

Before you make a final analysis, it sure wouldn't hurt to call a tackle shop or two down that way for advice. Maybe even call the Forest Service or ODFW office, to get some input.

F
fishindude
A guy I work with went Striper fishing in the Coos River a couple of weeks ago and knocked em dead . For what it's worth.:cool:

S
Santiam338
While I haven't fished Stripers since the early 80's,I used to fish them hard...We always fished Feb,Mar,April and always at night...Trolled 6 inch Rebels well behind the boat,..Used electric motors only,did not shine lights around and no banging on the boat...Quiet is the name of the game...Fished the upper tidewater on the Smith and its small water..Stripers are easily spooked up there...

Hours of boredom followed by moments of sheer excitement when you trolled into a bunch...Nothing like fighting out a big striper at night in a small channel with trees and brush hanging out over the river...

Never fished them this time of the year,but stipers are present in tidewater year round...Some months are better than others...If you go be sure to write a report...I been wondering about them myself lately...Wondering if it is still as good as the old days...
File0465.jpg

Good luck..

T
Thuggin4Life
hey tahnks but that pic is in the day? i too have heard a lot of stealthy bight missions for em.

X
xltom
Santiam338 said:
While I haven't fished Stripers since the early 80's

Looks like it's an old photo bro... BIGHT MISSION!!!! HAHAHA!!! Raincatcher just blew a gasket!!!

N
nwkiller
lolol, hahahah, lol man right when i read the header, i was like what????? then i seen it was andy and i knew what he ment...but so damn funny i gotta good laugh!! thanks

F
Finneus Polebender
Thuggin4Life said:
hey tahnks but that pic is in the day? i too have heard a lot of stealthy bight missions for em.

Seems to me we did do a lot of nights around lit up piers when I fiished them in cali , I think I would go with what santiam said!! I am sure raincatcher is biting a lip or she hasnt read it yet I think Andy is gonna break her LOL

F
fishnquest
Raincatcher said:
Okay,you finally crossed the line,Thuggin! :rolleyes: I can't take it any more!! :wall: You really need to turn on the spell check feature or you will continue to make me crazy... :doh: If you want to take your older friend "trolling for strippers" you will want to make sure you have plenty of $5 $10 and $20 bills in your pockets. I understand strip clubs are rather costly...if you know what I mean. :whistle: :redface: If,however,you intend to take him FISHING FOR STRIPERS follow the advice given in the two posts preceding this one.
Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue: :tongue:

lol. I was gonna say strippers are easier to find clinging to a pole somewhere. At first glance I thought he was serious.
Anyway, the stripers hit good trolling with yo-zuri's down here.

troutdude
troutdude
And God forbid, Andy, DON'T ever even think about casting $1 bill's! There won't be enough left of you to use for bait. LOL

BTW...hang on...Whew! Still have my portable Defibrillator...hang on Barb...help is on the way!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
you guys are too funny. seem like i started thinking right at the end of the main season for STRIPERS so its gonna take some good planning and a serious trip around the begining of may 2011. thanks for all the advice. On the stipppers no wonder i never get my catch i never spend more than a 20 and thats on a drink or 2, bar tender tip and a few ones.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Andy;
You are one hell of a fisherman,it's your spelling that keeps me entertained. But,you are definitely not alone! I always get the sense that you simply missed the correct key. Some fisher folks here have a lot of trouble spelling their own names... ;~)

Last edited:
F
fishnquest
Andy,
I didn't mean to give you a hard time. The title was definitely a head-turner and good for a laugh. It grabbed my attention.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey its alright. i type on a laptop that usuually is on my chest and at night it is hard to see the keys and i type with 2 or three fingers on each hand. and then sometimes i am a bit inebriated. sometimes i go back and fix things sometimes not. i should get mozilla again for the spell checker.

B
BlackBass
I was going to give him some advice on strippers :) Idk much about striper's