Smith River Stripers

O
ol tymer
Anyone out there a striper fisher person? I am interested in the Smith River that I hear is one of the best for that species. I've fished them down south, but seems trout and salmon occupy most Oregonians.

S
steelhead_slayer
Have wanted to check that out for awhile. Just never have

P
plumb2fish
definitely need a boat with an electric trolling motor, as well as a way to navigate down the river in the dark....casting large top water gear at the shore line...I have heard that the run is making a come back...I believe there is a guide or two that target these fish...pretty tight lipped fishery.

O
ol tymer
OK, thanks for the input. So where is the closest boat launch to access the lower smith river? I've always favored fishing near the mouth of the rivers.

P
plumb2fish
There is a free launch in Gardener that is pretty close to one of the "mouths" of the Smith that is ok on high tide. Also a launch on the island between gardiner and reeedsport...same thing high tide....also the launch at Reedsport and almost directly across is the secondary mouth of the Smith. Up around the forks is where i have seen photos taken....never fished for em myself. Also the Coos Bay systems have a tightlipped fishery as well.

O
ol tymer
OK,thanks for the info. So what you're saying is launch at high tide, go fish, and wait for another high tide to take out? How long does that usually take?

P
plumb2fish
The launch at Reedsport is ok.at any level, the others are going to depend on how big your boat is and how low the tide is. On a minus tide, Gardiner and the Island launches are mud....

O
ol tymer
OK, good info. Another member also suggested going up smith river road to Noel Ranch launch area. Thanks for your help.

E
eugene1
That's the one I'd go out of too. The bass go up the North Fork to spawn.

I drove by there last spring when there was supposed to be stripers around, but I didn't see any boats there and I never did try for them. Good luck!

ol tymer said:
OK, good info. Another member also suggested going up smith river road to Noel Ranch launch area. Thanks for your help.

P
plumb2fish
That's weird, I posted about fishing the Smith up near the forks in early spring too, but it didn't post. There is a bridge on the Main Smith up near reach of tide with a launch, just below the salmon deadline....would be a good place to launch a small boat.

O
ol tymer
I suppose thats good and bad. No boats could mean just about anything but my guess is most people are out for salmon or steelies. But no pressure on the stripers could mean a good thing.

E
eugene1
Yep ol tymer.

I talked to a guy who has lived and fished around here for his whole life. He says stripers are an urban myth!

Good luck,