Stripers caught

C
CoastieFlo
Heard of a few stripers being caught this past week up Smith River.......pretty much a late night boat show tho...just fyi

S
salmon_slayer87
When does it become real good fishing for them? I want to try that real bad this year.
Dale

C
CoastieFlo
From now on....from what I understand it gets better as the water warms.....people cast big plugs or use live pogies...both are done most of the time at night.

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks for the report. Not much on here about stripers. Keep us informed.

jamisonace
jamisonace
When I lived in Roseburg I had a neighbor that would go to Reedsport and catch 40+lb stripers over there. I went fishing with him a few times but never for stripers. It's too bad 'cuz I'd love to know how to catch them.

S
salmon_slayer87
Heck yea. My goal as a fisherman is to catch as many types of fish that I can. Stripers is definitely one on my list.
Dale

E
eugene1
CoastieFlo said:
Heard of a few stripers being caught this past week up Smith River.......pretty much a late night boat show tho...just fyi

Nice! Do you know if an electric motor is worth it for night trolling? That's the story I've heard anyway,

Thanks,

S
striperkiller
I'd rather catch them in the day...

E
eugene1
striperkiller said:
I'd rather catch them in the day...

Sounds like an easier way to go! Any tips for a beginner?

S
striperkiller
Trial and error... the hardest thing to do is locate the fish. Last year it got pretty crowded. So it was kinda obvious.

E
eugene1
striperkiller said:
Trial and error... the hardest thing to do is locate the fish. Last year it got pretty crowded. So it was kinda obvious.

Right on. Where are you fishing? OR or CA? That's a heck of a Bass in your profile pic! Congrats,

I'm gonna get down to the smith river (OR) this season and give it a try. I understand those strippers come into the rivers to eat a lot of outgoing smolts so stuff that imitates them could be good bait?

Best,

E
eugene1
Saw this on odfw today:

SMITH RIVER, Umpqua: steelhead, sturgeon, striped bass

Steelhead have arrived in the Smith River. Although most of the angling opportunity will be catch and release, a few hatchery fish have been reported. Only an adipose fin-clipped steelhead can be harvested. Striped bass fishing will soon begin as another opportunity in the basin.

Does anybody put in at Riverside wayside on the Smith River for targeting stripers, or is the Reedsport ramp a better option?

H
Hawk
Some years back there was a good post & pictures of some nice sized Stripers a man & his wife caught close to the mouth of the Umpqua. I don't remember if it was posted here or on ifish in the Bass forum.

Years ago i caught many stripers but it was mostly in California at San Luis Res Forebay, & the concrete canals, using Pile worms, or jigs, or small bait fish we called bullheads that we caught in the canals by the irrigation valves.

S
striperkiller
Smith river Or. Never seen a smolt in a striper stomach. Mostly bullheads.

E
eugene1
Hawk said:
Some years back there was a good post & pictures of some nice sized Stripers a man & his wife caught close to the mouth of the Umpqua. I don't remember if it was posted here or on ifish in the Bass forum.

Years ago i caught many stripers but it was mostly in California at San Luis Res Forebay, & the concrete canals, using Pile worms, or jigs, or small bait fish we called bullheads that we caught in the canals by the irrigation valves.

Cool, I looked into it, the guy posted it on the ifish bass page, nice pic. Said he was a guide for them down there back in the day and the bass would be full of smolts. Did you fish those baits with a float or drifting them down in CA? I saw an article in the Umpqua post today about how to target stripers on the Smith, good info. They're coming.

Thanks Hawk!

H
Hawk
I mostly fished from shore using a sliding sinker (red plastic holder) using sinkers from 1 ounce to 4 ounces. Threaded on a Pile worm.

In 1989 a man from Soquel was fishing the forebay in his bassboat, using a homemade jig. I saw him catch a 66lb + oz Striper It was very exciting. He went over to the bait store in Santa Nella to take pictures...:lol::lol::lol::cool:

:clap::clap::clap:

G
gloomis85
Do people take bass boats on smith river, OR?

E
eugene1
I think it's mostly drifters and sleds, safer that way. But maybe in lower sections?

C
CoastieFlo
lower section is tidewater, I dont know why you couldnt take a bass boat if the weather was ok

S
striperkiller
gloomis85 said:
Do people take bass boats on smith river, OR?

Watch out for logs and other debris in the water. Well pilings too. But it would work if that's all you have.