Striper season on the sac

K
kawasakii9
We hit the sacramento river this last week. 4-18 through 4-24. you talk about bad timing.... I swore i seen dorothy and toto go by one day. The river was very high and muddy. We did catch some stripers altho the females have not moved up yet and the males are going straight up account the high water. If any one actually reads this.... the river was starting to clear up as we left and should be in better shape 1st week of may. there is an incredible amount of small males in the river and minows was not the bait of choice. cut bait sardines was the best bet most of the time. trolling minnows was only good for a couple of days but was pretty hit and miss.
the sturgeon were in the river and it seems they were the easier catch. We had fair success on the channel cats for the week also.
keeper stripers were averaging 5 - 8 lbs if you could keep the little ones off your hook and get to them. Oh well maybe next year.
and if anyone is interested the small camp ground at grimes rents rv's for 55 a night. the staff there will bend over backwards to make you feel at home. the information was straight forward and everyone in the campground shared information better than anywhere i have ever been to. the cafe's food was fantastic for a small resteraunt. the hamburger was one of the better ones i have had and tuersday night all you can eat taco's needs to be tried! no seriously!! you wouldnt belive it unless you ate them

F
fishnquest
The females were just starting to show up around rio vista a couple weeks ago. The weather has been kinda weird this year with the late rains. We have been catching a lot of little ones too, so far. I'm surprised to see someone from fishing heaven come down here to go fishing, even if it is for stripers.

K
kawasakii9
you remember a few years back when you had no water? we are now in the same boat it seem most of our lake up here are about 60% and we have no snow pack. besides.... stripers are fun

H
Hawk
I don't know how it is now, but we used to catch stripers & catfish in the CA Aquaduct, Delta/Mendota canal, & the San Luis Res Forebay. For bait we mostly used Pileworms, Bloodworms, cut anchovies, & a small baitfish we caught in the canals by the irrigation gate valves. We camped right by the canals back then. Great Funs.

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool:

F
fishnquest
The first fish I ever caught was a striper with my brother. I was 6. He was 5. We lived in Woodland. He fell in the canal when we were trying to land it using a safety pin for a hook and a worm for bait. I remember laying on the ground on my stomach reaching out for my brother. Somehow we got that fish and him out of the canal. It was huge! (I was 6). We brought that fish home proud as heck, Mike soaking wet. It filled up the sta-tub. Thats all I remember.

H
Hawk
I can picture that Bro. It would have been dangerous, especially at your ages then.

The biggest Striper i saw taken out of the San Luis Res O'Neill Forebay was 66lb +oz

A guy caught a 99lb Sturgeon in there too.

:D:D:D