Striper from the Surf

S
sportyguy66
Anyone ever catch a Striped Bass form the Surf along upper Oregon Coast?

M
Mad dog
sportyguy66 said:
Anyone ever catch a Striped Bass form the Surf along upper Oregon Coast?

The only place I have heard of is Basendorf beach near the south jetty of Coos bay. There are usually a few caught by surf perch fisherman every year there.

H
hvacr1
I am from the east coast where surf fishing for blue fish and striped bass are king. I guess I would have to say striped bass are to east coast as salmon are to the west coast. I have been doing some research myself on trying to find these fish out here. I think there is a guide here in oregon but he is catching them in a coastal river not surf. But I will also second the coos bay area I believe that is the only known area where there are stripers but I wouldn't say huge numbers but I could be wrong. But I don't think they are as large as on the east coast. Where as on the east coast you can get into 30# plus striper on any given day from the surf.

H
hvacr1
Forgot one more spot the smith river flowing into winchester bay

S
Santiam338
Back in the 80's I fished stripers a lot..I was pretty good at it..Threw and trolled 6 inch bluebacked rebels..

Haven't been down there in a long time..If its like everything else,its not as good as it once was..

I keep threatening to go back and see if they are still there...One of these days I will make it..

We always fished Feburary and March in the Smith...

File0465.jpg

R
RunWithSasquatch
Wow nice, those arent any shakers, good eats? You pulled those from tide, or river?

T
TTFishon
Back in the late 90's I worked with a guy that claimed he did pretty good in the Smith fishing at night.

N
nwkiller
wow this is great info, i heard they are still in the smith but super smart! have to cast from decent distance, not sure if it was like that when santiam rocked it but heard they were tricky! always wanted to try it, never really knew the months..gonna try!