striped bass! umpqua, coos and coquile? input..

F
fishndad
if everyone could chip in, what does everyone use for the stripers, what is the best time of year, time of day, bait etc! i havent fished these since i was a kid so the memory is vague any help would be fantastic! ill be fishing the umpqua, the coos and coquile rivers for them!

F
FishSlayer420
My boss fishes em in the /umpqua and he does it at night fishing a whole trout or herring. Another weird one that these old timers said to me one time was Rats live rats i do not think i could do that personally

F
fishndad
live rats.....no way lol i couldnt do that. but whole fish like herring would be fine lol

H
Hawk
I havn't sought out stripers heer in OR yet butt i caught& r mostly, down in CA, many stripers lustrums ago..........................:D:D:D......................:cool::cool::cool:

I mostly used a sliding sinker with leader using pileworms or a small bait fish i caught in the canals by the irrigation valves. onct ina while i used frozen cut anchovies(wrapped a little thread around it). Sometimes jigs.

Best O Luck to ye Bro..........................:D

N
nimzrock
My dad and I used to fish tenmile lakes years ago mostly for the trout. He had luck using sand shrimp and a sliding sinker.He would cast near the banks and let it sit with the bail open and let them start running with it. :cool:

F
fishndad
nimzrock said:
My dad and I used to fish tenmile lakes years ago mostly for the trout. He had luck using sand shrimp and a sliding sinker.He would cast near the banks and let it sit with the bail open and let them start running with it. :cool:

ah your talking about hybrids! ten mile lakes dont hold striped bass just the hybrids and they stopped planting those there to. now there is maybe a few and they are a rare breed in there

Y
yellowjacket
E. Catching Inlet

E. Catching Inlet

fishndad said:
if everyone could chip in, what does everyone use for the stripers, what is the best time of year, time of day, bait etc! i havent fished these since i was a kid so the memory is vague any help would be fantastic! ill be fishing the umpqua, the coos and coquile rivers for them!

Used to fish em in E. Catching inlet. They'd come in on the outgoing tide. Lived in Bunker Hill by GP. Used sculpin that we'd catch in little pond under Eastside bridge. One guy would poach using small rainbow trout. Got fish everytime so if bank fishing, plunking with a rainbow rapala would probably get results. Hard to remember exactly the spot on E. Catching inlet. Was in the first 2 miles off coos river hwy, was a big house set back off the road with a big wrought iron gate and a sharp bend in the inlet. They would come in on the outgoing then when the tide turned around you got a second chance. Pods of about 5, you could see the wake like submarines when they were on the move.

F
fishndad
yellowjacket said:
Used to fish em in E. Catching inlet. They'd come in on the outgoing tide. Lived in Bunker Hill by GP. Used sculpin that we'd catch in little pond under Eastside bridge. One guy would poach using small rainbow trout. Got fish everytime so if bank fishing, plunking with a rainbow rapala would probably get results. Hard to remember exactly the spot on E. Catching inlet. Was in the first 2 miles off coos river hwy, was a big house set back off the road with a big wrought iron gate and a sharp bend in the inlet. They would come in on the outgoing then when the tide turned around you got a second chance. Pods of about 5, you could see the wake like submarines when they were on the move.

thats very interesting!

Y
yellowjacket
E. Catching at Stock Slough

E. Catching at Stock Slough

fishndad said:
thats very interesting!

I did a mapquest aerial, the spot we'd fish was at the bend at Stock Slough. Used to be a couple of pull offs. The better one was at stock slough. The poacher would use a john boat & cross to the opposite side. The game officer would come by every day but could only check the bait bucket with binoculars. The guy had two 5 gallon pails. the one on the bottom had the trout but the top one had sculpin. Would just burn our bottoms to watch the fish pass by us then hit his illegal rig every time. Looking back I/we should have informed the game officer to how he was poaching both undersize trout and the stripers.

F
fishndad
yeah, i just let them do what they do! at the end of the day ill feel good weather i catch a fish or not cause i did it the right way