Strike Indicators?

T

Troutier Bassier

Can anyone tell me what I can use instead of small O Rings for strike indicators? thanks

T

Troutier Bassier

Seriously? $1.15 for a strike indicator? I can go to the store and get a red and white bobber for $.20!!!!

E

everett464

You get what you pay for.

I prefer thingamabobbers, because they are simple, they run in line, they have no moving parts, you can adjust them easily, etc...

K

Kais

Ya i saw on the new flyfisher and they said to clump up some yarn, and put it on your leader with a loop

G

Growbug

+1 for thingamabobbers
corkies work well
there are some small things sold as "trout bobbers" that work excellent (can't remember then name of them)
or you can by colored foam in little 'dowels' at micheals and jo-annes which work excellent if you snip off an inch at a time. You can also use them for posts on dry flys or eyes, etc.

edit

DO NOT use the pinch on orange foam ones from bi-mart etc (Palsa). The glue on them stays on your line for ever.

E

everett464

You know what else is simple? A piece of yarn on your leader...

Sorry man, I think I just misunderstood your query.

I think if you are looking for a cost-friendly approach to strike indicators, yarn is an awesome alternative; dress it heavily. I typically nymph with two flies, one of them relatively big, so I find that yarn doesn't stay up quite as well as I would prefer; if you are tossing big heavy steelhead flies, forget about it.

I think that the water-balloon method suggested above would address both the cost and the buoyancy concerns; I may even try it myself.

Good Luck.

Ev

S

steelhead_slayer

corkies are awesome and cheap

C

CFishRun

If anyone is looking for pegs check out the rubber pegs used for placing bullet style weights. I've used them for bass fishing for years and never thought about using them with a corkie for a strike indicator. Thanks and it's really cheap and really easy to use.

O

Oregon Knights

Thingamabobbers are by far the best IMHO, other than a large dry fly. My most recent experience with this was a couple years ago while fishing with a guide on the Upper Yakima out of Cle Elum, Washington. I was using a an orange thingamabobber and had a very nice trout take the indicator. When I say take it, I mean he took it to the bottom. It stayed on my line, but the fish had it down for about 5 seconds before releasing it. I immediately put a large orange stimulator on as my indicator and took a 16-17 inch trout on the next cast.

Using a stimulator or large caddis gives you an additional hook, which in some cases gives you increased odds at catching a more fish. I've had a number of fish strike the indicators, thingamabobbers, corkies, yarn, etc. so to me it makes sense the indicator should have the ability to catch fish, as well as provide notice of a strike on your drop fly(s).

Dale

Last edited:
J

joesnuffy

I like the htingamabobbers as well. They might cost a couple bucks for a pack but I've never actually lost or popped one. supper light weight so you don't mess your cast up very much.

S

steelhead_slayer

i tried thingamabobbers and i caught less then have the fish as with corkies. they float really good though.

Top Bottom