Stren fluorocast review

C
colbypearson
New stren fluorocast review:

[video=youtube;KGO-z4lmaRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGO-z4lmaRU[/video]

they were out of seaguar and p-line so i decided to try fluorocast, it will be the last time...i am really not impressed with the knot strength of this line witch is almost non existent, line memory isn't too bad but not good either.... fair warning if your out there to land a fish dont get this stuff like i did... :lol:

R
RunWithSasquatch
HAHA what a joke! could you imagine getting a springer hooked up on that!!! pff! It would be upsetting.

C
colbypearson
RunWithSasquatch said:
HAHA what a joke! could you imagine getting a springer hooked up on that!!! pff! It would be upsetting.

same thing i thought when i tied on my jig, wow i sure am glad i didn't hook a big one on this or even a decent one for that matter that was 17lb test normally heavy line but to break it with very minimal effort is a joke! my 6lb fluorocarbon on my spinning reel is 3 times that strong, really makes me think differently of that company... hopefully the stores will get seaguar and p-line back in those are lines i can really trust

R
RunWithSasquatch
I used to use stren mono for leader, 3 years ago, and even there mono had terrible knot strength, I have come a long ways since then on leader/mainline choices, but prior to that time, I used its product with what I thought was good results, never had problems with breaking. About that time was when I started to actually break the 8/10lb leader tying the knot, tightening it. It was weird to see how weak it was.

C
colbypearson
RunWithSasquatch said:
I used to use stren mono for leader, 3 years ago, and even there mono had terrible knot strength, I have come a long ways since then on leader/mainline choices, but prior to that time, I used its product with what I thought was good results, never had problems with breaking. About that time was when I started to actually break the 8/10lb leader tying the knot, tightening it. It was weird to see how weak it was.

for sure!, i have done good with p-line CXX 17# and 20# for heavy cover or big baits... for fluorocarbon i like seguar red label or inviz-x but for spinning reels and for anything on my casting reels that i wouldnt use fluoro or CXX i love using the P-line fluoroclear that stuff is awesome not as strong so i dont like it in heavy cover but it casts and handles great its a good pair with spinning rods

R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive used Seagur, but I was having to go up one size in line diameter, it seemed to be equal to one size under it in mono, and it it fished like it. 8lb seagur flouro fished like 6lb ultra green.

T
todd
wow i bet u were pissed get out there ready to fish and find out u need to buy new line again

N
Ntofishing
Don't forget that Spiderwire mono. That stuff is tough. I was actually going to try some Stren because it was recommended by a friend, maybe Ill rethink that now. BTW this Cajun line seems ok so far. We will see how it does on those big Klamath Trout in another month or two.

R
RunWithSasquatch
My personal opinion, Ultra Green is tried and true, ive done my stint with flouro carbon, and wasn't convinced. If a guy were to use new roles every day, maybe its a good to go situation, but it gets brittle with age, rocks do a number on them too. So maybe it has a place in still water, flippin lilly pads. Ive never had problems getting my bites in low clear water with UG, I am sure this has been debated many times, and not really where this thread was ment to go, ill straighted hooks time and time again with UG.

A
Amberjack
Not a fan of FC unless the bite is tough and the fish are line shy. As Colby mentioned, Seaguar is the best, but knots play an important part. Improved clinch or a Uni Knot does not work with FC in my opinion. The only knot I have found to work well with FC is the palomar knot. I have found that Izorline to work well for me, this includes fresh and saltwater fishing. A big factor in line is shelf life. How long has the line been on display in flouresent light or how long.. period. I store all of my line in the dark.. goofy I know but a confidence thing.

JMHO

R
RunWithSasquatch
Amberjack said:
How long has the line been on display in flouresent light or how long.. period. I store all of my line in the dark.. goofy I know but a confidence thing.

JMHO
Not so goofy, as much as appropriate. Ive heard people storing there FC line in the refridgerator, getting more life out of it. And the two knots you mentioned are two of my most used knots. I run braid mainline on all my rods, and when I need a preleader IE to a plug, or spinner, I use a Double Uni to join them, and maybe thats why I was having an experience where it fished like it was a line size under what it was rated for.

A
Amberjack
RunWithSasquatch said:
Not so goofy, as much as appropriate. Ive heard people storing there FC line in the refridgerator, getting more life out of it. And the two knots you mentioned are two of my most used knots. I run braid mainline on all my rods, and when I need a preleader IE to a plug, or spinner, I use a Double Uni to join them, and maybe thats why I was having an experience where it fished like it was a line size under what it was rated for.

Braid is great stuff, I use power pro. Double uni is a good knot to go with Braid to Mono, not sure if FC will work with it though. For tuna I use 120lb Power Pro with a double uni to 80lb Izorline mono (Line saving technique) 100yd top shot. For Halibut, 120lb Power Pro, with a 20 twist Bimini Twist. Spro swivel in the loop on the Bimini twist, then 80lb - 8' Izorline leader to my gear. I use Uni knot for all my terminal tackle. As a side note on a uni knot do not cinch it all the way on lures/ bait you want to have a lot of action, cinch it down to a small loop and run it. When a fish hits it will cinch up on it's own. Kind of a poor mans ringed hook.