Strapping Battery on Pontoon Strategies

B
bernduffy
Had a terrific easy learning first day on my new used 9" pontoon (Thanks to liizardman). Two questions re: battery for trolling motor. I have a solid aluminum plate as my rear deck. Thinking of cutting a couple of slots for straps, but before I do that thought I'd see what others are doing.
Also, since the 45 pound lump has to sit to the side of the deck so the Minn Kota handle can tilt down (out of water), I assume I should be balancing it with anchor and 25 pound steelhead...I wish.
Any brilliant ideas out there?
Thanks,
Bernie

B
Bennicus
Tie two 6v batteries in series - one on each side of the trolling motor. Or 2 smaller 12v batteries with quick chance clips. Or convince DeWalt to make a trolling motor - I got quite a few 18v batteries that get real lazy on weekends.

B
bernduffy
Of course! Duh. Why is it that simple solutions are so easily overlooked.... I didn't think of small 12 v but clipped one on to a drill last weekend. Again, I say unto you...Duh!
I'll bet some mad electrician/angler/pontoonist has figured out a way to adapt those tool batteries for trolling. They might not last long but if you had a few that could be quickly changed, what a great idea. All I know is that the lump of lead I'm now using would anchor a cruise ship. In the meantime I'll get a couple of 6v.
Thanks!

L
lizardman
Get a small lawn tractor battery (12 volt) and secure it to the frame just behind the seat with a cam lock strap. I go around the battery from top to bottom and secure the cam lock and then go around the battery from side to side with the excess strapping and tie it off.

Dave

H
Hawk
bernduffy said:
Had a terrific easy learning first day on my new used 9" pontoon (Thanks to liizardman). Two questions re: battery for trolling motor. I have a solid aluminum plate as my rear deck. Thinking of cutting a couple of slots for straps, but before I do that thought I'd see what others are doing.
Also, since the 45 pound lump has to sit to the side of the deck so the Minn Kota handle can tilt down (out of water), I assume I should be balancing it with anchor and 25 pound steelhead...I wish.
Any brilliant ideas out there?
Thanks,
Bernie

Howdy Bernie;

I've seen where a few folks have made a mounting plate & mounted their trolling motor in front of the seat area. I think Ninja was one who did it that way. Seemed like a pretty handy setup. He had some pictures of his rig in the Archives.

:D

B
bernduffy
Thanks, Dave. But would it be a deep cycle and last as long? Though I don't see using it for more than 3 hours at a time on the #3 setting, so it might be fine. This big battery is bordering on dangerous. If I tipped over, it might present a number of problems. Thanks again for making the deal on this rig. I'm lovin' it. Let me know when the Umatilla heats up...would like to fish it with you.

Howdy back, Hawk: Motor on the front of a pontoon? Excellent for trimming the toenails...! Yeah I could just switch the mounting to the front, but I got a lot happening up there. Not sure I want the motor and its wires running through my already crowded front porch. But I'll have a look at the Ninja archive. Thanks for the response.
Bernie