Stopped by Blabbermouth Hole and left totally disiilliusioned

B
BobbiDollPDX
This thread had a couple other candidates for a title and will probably be the longest one you ever see from me.

Titles that didn't make it....
When All Else Fails... Hook Em In The Tail and Whiff It... Whiff It Good!

I wasn't going to post this tonight since I've had a couple of beers but what the heck. And these guys might be OFFers and could end up totally mad at me but I don't care. I had never seen anything like this (even though I've heard of it) and I don't ever want to fish down there if this is standard procedure.

A friend and I put in at the lake near the hole around 6am and trolled around for most of the day... we caught a couple of trout and thought it would be fun to motor down the way to see if anyone showed up for the Blabbermouth Hole get together.

We got down there and didn't recognize anyone so we got back in the boat and dinked around for awhile. Then my friend said he wanted to take a look at a couple of guys he saw casting down by the dam. He said they were getting some serious distance and wanted to see what they were throwing.

So we banked the boat and walked down there. Saw 3 guys fishing and grabbed a couple of rocks to enjoy the show.

The guy closest to us was drifting what looked like a corkie and some eggs, and the guys next to him were almost hitting the dam with every cast. It was amazing.

The problem was that when those 2 would cast, they would wait around 5-10 seconds and then whiff their rods up over their shoulders.

I looked at my friend and was like... are you seeing this? He replied by saying he heard you were supposed to try to set the hook if you felt anything "off" when fishing and I said "that is NOT a hook set".

Now, I've been known to whiff my rod now and then. Shoot I did it twice today on hooksets for trout, but there is a difference between misjudging the amount of slack in your line or just totally over doing it when setting the hook and whipping your rod 2 or 3 times on every cast.

My point was finally made when one of the guys hooked up... nice sized nook and he wrestled with it for a minute. It actually ended up down in front of where we were sitting and my friend says... "isn't that fish pointing the wrong way?"

I watched it and granted a fish will try to swim away when hooked but this fish was totally facing the opposite direction of the man trying to reel it in the whole time.

When he got a little closer to it, I was able to see his corkie and whatever else he had on the hook in the fish's tail.

He gets the fish into the bank and we were like... he's not really gonna keep it right? Next thing you know, one of them has bloody handfuls of eggs and they are handing the fish off to some teenager who had been watching with his family.

I'm thinking that karma may have visited this guy pretty quickly because as he was landing the fish, we heard a loud SNAP and then the kid that he ended up giving the fish to, grabbed the line and brought it on the bank.

The dude was totally cussing and ended up breaking down his pole right away so I'm thinking his pole snapped.

So, there is my story. If this isn't typical of the hole, please let me know, I was pretty offended.

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
In all honesty and igorance, I have no idea where this famous blabbermouth hole is.....I have no desire to even go there.....I don't fish like that...give me a quiet river with feisty trout any day...I don't need a salmon that bad. Sorry for you being offended Bobbidoll...unfortunately there are too many fisherpeople out there like that...hehe...No beer tonight but tired from 3 days of camping and hitting the rivers hard.....night night...:D

Troutski
Troutski
Bummer, we have a few places like that in my neck of the woods. You go once and then find yourself another place, like Lil said..."give me feisty Trout".

Chuck

W
waco
BobbiDollPDX said:
This thread had a couple other candidates for a title and will probably be the longest one you ever see from me.

Titles that didn't make it....
When All Else Fails... Hook Em In The Tail and Whiff It... Whiff It Good!

I wasn't going to post this tonight since I've had a couple of beers but what the heck. And these guys might be OFFers and could end up totally mad at me but I don't care. I had never seen anything like this (even though I've heard of it) and I don't ever want to fish down there if this is standard procedure.

A friend and I put in at the lake near the hole around 6am and trolled around for most of the day... we caught a couple of trout and thought it would be fun to motor down the way to see if anyone showed up for the Blabbermouth Hole get together.

We got down there and didn't recognize anyone so we got back in the boat and dinked around for awhile. Then my friend said he wanted to take a look at a couple of guys he saw casting down by the dam. He said they were getting some serious distance and wanted to see what they were throwing.

So we banked the boat and walked down there. Saw 3 guys fishing and grabbed a couple of rocks to enjoy the show.

The guy closest to us was drifting what looked like a corkie and some eggs, and the guys next to him where almost hitting the damn with every cast. It was amazing.

The problem was that when those 2 would cast, they would wait around 5-10 seconds and then whiff their rods up over their shoulders.

I looked at my friend and was like... are you seeing this? He replied by saying he heard you were supposed to try to set the hook if you felt anything "off" when fishing and I said "that is NOT a hook set".

Now, I've been known to whiff my rod now and then. Shoot I did it twice today on hooksets for trout, but there is a difference between misjudging the amount of slack in your line or just totally over doing it when setting the hook and whipping your rod 2 or 3 times on every cast.

My point was finally made when one of the guys hooked up... nice sized nook and he wrestled with it for a minute. It actually ended up down in front of where we were sitting and my friend says... "isn't that fish pointing the wrong way?"

I watched it and granted a fish will try to swim away when hooked but this fish was totally facing the opposite direction of the man trying to reel it in the whole time.

When he got a little closer to it, I was able to see his corkie and whatever else he had on the hook in the fish's tail.

He gets the fish into the bank and we were like... he's not really gonna keep it right? Next thing you know, one of them has bloody handfuls of eggs and they are handing the fish off to some teenager who had been watching with his family.

I'm thinking that karma may have visited this guy pretty quickly because as he was landing the fish, we heard a loud SNAP and then the kid that he ended up giving the fish to, grabbed the line and brought it on the bank.

The dude was totally cussing and ended up breaking down his pole right away so I'm thinking his pole snapped.

So, there is my story. If this isn't typical of the hole, please let me know, I was pretty offended.
yep i saw that i was the guy closer to you!! and i didn't like what those guys did!! in fact they snag total of 3 fish keep 2 take the eggs and give the fish away!!! but i was shock when the guy landed the fish that you saw right when he landed he just cut the fish open and got the eggs and the fish was still alive when he got the eggs out!!that was kind of cruel!!!!! anyways you dont know me but if i would recognize you i would say hi to you guys!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummm,did anyone challenge them? Call the number on the back of your license? As long as they go unchallenged,they will keep it up. They are taking YOUR fish.

M
MrsPolebender
Raincatcher said:
Ummm,did anyone challenge them? Call the number on the back of your license? As long as they go unchallenged,they will keep it up. They are taking YOUR fish.

Barb is right and straight out confrontation is not always best depending on who you are and who you might be dealing with ! Down here at Dexter dam they finally hid some game cops on the hill and used a scope /binocs and radios to nail the crap out of snaggers there.I wont get any where near that fiasco hate combat/elbow to elbow fishing ! That doesn't mean they should get away with breakin the law .I second Barbs suggestion call the # and keep callin every time you happen to see them ! Hopefully Karma and the ODFW will do the rest . Personally think blatant infractions like this should result in a lengthy loss of fishing /hunting privilages ,rather than a fine this might make these type of clowns think twice . Good report on a bad situation

R
rippin fish lips
I went to dexter a few times to try to fish my own way...casting spinners and spoons with a single hook (no treble) cuz it's illegal above the 200 foot marker. I dont go there anymore because of it. It's stupid, (I) personally think ODFW needs to step it up.

B
BobbiDollPDX
First let me say sorry for the typos... I'm going to jump back in and edit my original post. That's what I get for posting under the influence.

Second... Waco, Hi... sorry I didn't recognize you either. I haven't seen too many pictures of you and I wasn't wearing a ball cap which could be why you didn't know who I was. And for the record, I totally appreciated the fact that you were fishing correctly. I used you as a reference point when explaining to my friend what the other guys were doing wrong.

Third.... Barb, I did say something. I took pictures too. In fact my friend thanked me over dinner for putting him in a position where he might have had to defend me. For some reason I think he was being sarcastic.

Now off to fix my typos...

Last edited:
I
I Grade
No, but really, its a GREAT PLACE TO FISH (pffffft)..... you just need to have the right attitude (if you can't beat em join em)..... this 'blabbermouth hole' is not a good place to fish anymore....it has been popularized and marginalized by people on this forum, and they want to continue to make snide jokes and remarks about how GREAT the fishing is and how people that think otherwise are just hair-brained. I used to love to fish there, but it is ruined. What you saw is ENTIRELY typical as of last year. If you like elbow to elbow snag competitions.....LIVE IT UP.... but if you prefer some semblance of solitude and peace while fishing.....you now have to look elsewhere. It was a great piece of water for years, and like most things that end up 'mainstream'...... IT NOW SUCKS.

I Grade

G
GDBrown
I go when it is pouring down rain! I haven't caught a fish there yet, (steelhead that is) but I have had lots of fun and learned a lot from Kirkster who showed me what I needed and demonstrated by catching and releasing a beautiful native last fall. The first time I went there I took my fly rod as well and when I got tired of casting I would put down the pole and pick up the rod and catch a few trout on flies.

It can be a lot of fun with the right people.

GD

M
Markcanby
I will go down there this year I mean it's no different then any other place in the state. There is always going to be a dumb ass somewhere.

B
bigdog
Here we go again.

Here we go again.

I Grade said:
No, but really, its a GREAT PLACE TO FISH (pffffft)..... you just need to have the right attitude (if you can't beat em join em)..... this 'blabbermouth hole' is not a good place to fish anymore....it has been popularized and marginalized by people on this forum, and they want to continue to make snide jokes and remarks about how GREAT the fishing is and how people that think otherwise are just hair-brained. I used to love to fish there, but it is ruined. What you saw is ENTIRELY typical as of last year. If you like elbow to elbow snag competitions.....LIVE IT UP.... but if you prefer some semblance of solitude and peace while fishing.....you now have to look elsewhere. It was a great piece of water for years, and like most things that end up 'mainstream'...... IT NOW SUCKS.

I Grade

:lol: your a funny guy. OFF members have ruined that hole in one year :lol: That place was filled with people along that bank like that 5 years ago when I was still up on the dam going for trout, so I'm sure it was before then as well. :lol: One year :lol: There is nothing and was nothing secret about that area for fishing.

B
bigdog
Markcanby said:
I will go down there this year I mean it's no different then any other place in the state. There is always going to be a dumb ass somewhere.
Isn't that the truth. Where there are fish there are people.

T
tnffishman
I Grade said:

I Grade

I think you may be right but it's definitely not just that spot, any spot where fish gather attracts those type of people. I was down there last monday with two members from this forum and no one else was there! It was an awesome day, we were targeting the steel on the inside and managed to hookup on a few. No whiffing of rods, no keeping tail hooked fish. Just good ol' fishing. I was expecting there to be a crowd from what I had heard on this forum but it was just us. And I don't think I will fish there on a weekend ever, but that is the same for a lot of popular spots

F
fishingfreak
I have never seen anyone doing that there. If I did I would call and talk to OSP dispacth and Schoenborn (OSP) will be all over it. It is not typical. I too have been trout fishing up above for years. I am surprised too hear about that there because OSP will watch from the bridge, Dam, and the Electric house for Snaggers or boundry violations. It was nothing but good times fishing with the other OFFers when I went. Sorry you had a bad experience bobbidoll it really is a great place to fish and nice summers come out of there.

N
nativefish
Hey i was just wondering if someone can tell me how to get down there, like were you park. do you just park at faraday lake and find a path? PM me if you feel better about that than posting for everyone.

F
FishFinger
Bobbi, hard to say if it's typical. I know of jerks who snagged salmon from that hole back in the 80's. I've been down there many times over the years and like, I Grade said, it's been a nice place to fish. However over the last few years (4 -5) it gets more and more trash ridden and I have seen a plenty of flossing going on.

Harassing dark fish is "low brow" but not specifically illegal. Retention of a foul hooked "dark" fish would be.

Sitting there watching them it would have been easy to tell a fair hooked fish from a foul hooked one. If you control the head you control the fish, anywhere else there is no control.

The dead line gets harder and harder to see each season. You'll find people angling in closed waters there quite often.

At that point it's fun to inform them they are on CCTV! As part of homeland defense to protect the damn there are security cameras aimed right at them.......

Over the next 6 to 8 weeks it's gonna get real ugly on the Clack, Eagle Creek, and the Sandy; as the Coho show up.

What you saw Sat is a primer for what a lot of mush heads do when they think no one is looking.........

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
nativefish said:
Hey i was just wondering if someone can tell me how to get down there, like were you park. do you just park at Faraday lake and find a path? PM me if you feel better about that than posting for everyone.

Hey little buddy, I'd be happy to "publicly share" the location of that specific hole, considering it's public land we all have a right to use it.

It's out hwy 224, perhaps 2 miles east of Estacada. You'll see a sign to your right, the West Hydro Project. Pull down the road and park on the right near the fenced utility area. Head for the fence and take the path that leads behind it, to the west and south. You'll pass by another storage yard then down a trail through a thick black berry stand. Once clear of that, it's down hill to the river.

Ok then........ For OFFering up such coveted info you must agree to do the following......

1) Bring a trash bag and leave with more trash than you generate your self. Especially the fishing line that's tangled through out the length of the bank.

2) Know where the dead line is and help remind others.

3) If you arrive and find people there..... Or people arrive and find you..... Make sure to tell em ODFW has been / or is coming / down checking and enforcing 24" leader lengths.